finding a value in a list

  1. #1
    Gixxer_J_97
    Guest

    finding a value in a list

    if you have a named list, say 'Names'
    and that list is used as the source for a data validation cell,
    is there a way to find what position the selected value is at in the list?

    ie if Names contains:
    Frank
    Bob
    Joe
    Tim

    and I have selected 'Joe' in my cell, how do i find that 'Joe' is index # 3
    (if it starts from 1, or index #2 if it starts from 0)?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: finding a value in a list

    =match(cell with validation, validation range/list,0)

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gixxer_J_97