sharing an add-in function for multiple users

  1. #1
    Brian K. Sheperd
    Guest

    sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    I needed to access a MS Access database to extract a unit cost that matches
    a part number that was in Excel. I created a function, saved it as an XLA,
    and used it as an Add-in. I figured that I could copy the XLA file to the
    users profile (c:\documents and settings\user\application
    data\microsoft\addins), and then when another user opened the file, the
    function would work. As it turns out, it looks like when another user opens
    the file, it is trying to access my profile for the function. So, I figured
    that I would put the XLA file on a shared network folder. Browsed to the
    addin (did not copy to local HD), and then resaved the spreadsheet. I
    opened the file on a different machine (that has access to the network
    folder), but it still wasn't working. Is there a way to get this to work?
    Or do I have to save the function in the actual file?

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. #2
    Gareth Roberts
    Guest

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Hi Brian,

    If you want to use a custom function in another workbook you need to
    reference the workbook containing that function (in this case your AddIn) in
    the workbook that will be using the function. Shame ain't it!

    Post back if you don't know how to do this.
    HTH,
    Gareth

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Brian K. Sheperd
    Guest

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Gareth,
    Yes... Please explain how to accomplish this.
    Thanks,
    Brian

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gareth Roberts
    Guest

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Hi Brian,

    Open your AddIn and the workbook that needs to reference it.
    Open the VBE (SHIFT F11)
    Select Tools \ References from the Menu Bar.
    Your AddIn should be listed there (that's why we opened it before -
    otherwise you might have to browse for it)
    Tick the checkbox for your AddIn and click OK.
    Save your workbook (for good measure).
    You should now be able to access the function.

    Note that if you didn't give your AddIn's VBA project a specific name it
    will just be called VBAProject in the References list. You may like to
    change it: Select Tools \ VBAProject Properties

    Note further that, whilst Excel is smart at working out which project is
    referenced even if you mess around with paths and things you can get into
    bit of trouble should people have different mapped drives. Even referencing
    by browsing through network neighourhood to make sure you get the UNC path
    can be problematic if one person saves the referencing workbook on a mapped
    drive - it somehow changes the references... but on the wholeit should be
    fine.

  5. #5
    Brian K. Sheperd
    Guest

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Gareth,

    Thank you very much for the info.

    Just as a side thought. The file that I am working with is going to be a
    template file. We have a thousand or so files that in an old revision. I
    am going to write a subroutine to open each excel file, copy out specific
    information, and copy it to the template. What if I just wrote a function
    in VBA for the template file, then it would be there since all the other
    files are going to be based from that template? Or would that be about the
    same concept?

    Thanks again,

  6. #6
    Gareth Roberts
    Guest

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Hi Brian,

    I think that's a much better idea. Keeping the code in the workbook itself
    would avoid all the referencing problems, letting you email them etc. Of
    course.... if you ever wanted to change or add functions to them in the
    future that would be awkward. In that case you would have been better
    referencing.... I think it depends on your circumstances, how your workbooks
    are deployed, likelihood of changes etc.

    It is possible to programmatically change the VBA code in workbooks so if
    you has to change it for all 1000 files you could do it automatically....
    but YIKES!

    Cya

  7. #7
    Brian K. Sheperd
    Guest

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Gareth,
    I will have to run it by a few people to see which path will be better.
    Thank you again for all of your help.

  8. #8
    Stockholm
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Hi,
    I share and dropbox file which counts colors in an Excel sheet and call an external Add-in with the following code:
    =CountCcolor('MÅN 29 maj'!$C$7:$CN$74;$J$7)*0,25

    when another person opens the same file it looks like this:
    =C:\Users\Robert\...\RaknaFarg.xlam!CountCcolor('MÅN 29 maj'!$C$7:$CN$74;$J$7)*0,25

    The .xlam file is on all of the computers and I tried to put the file in dropbox. The other users are prompted to update the links to the file.

    How do I avoid this?

  9. #9
    Stockholm
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: sharing an add-in function for multiple users

    Update: How do I adress the .xlam file on dropbox so other users can use it?