Help with Access Database Query!!

  1. #1
    Vince
    Guest

    Help with Access Database Query!!

    The code in example #1 works fine, but I am trying to figure out what is
    wrong with the code in example #2. I get an error when I try to open the
    recordset. I am trying to pass a value from a combo box to the query in
    example #2 so the user can select different values. I can't get it to work,
    I am looking for help.

    example #1

    Dim sSql as String
    Dim i as Integer
    Dim cn as ADODB.Connection, rs as ADODB.Recordset, r AS Long, c ASLong

    Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
    cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.Oledb.4.0; " & _
    "Data Source=C:\DoctorBlades.mdb;"

    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.Open "tblDoctorBladesQuery",cn,adOpenDynamic,adLockOptimistic

    example #2

    Dim sSql as String
    Dim i as Integer
    Dim cn as ADODB.Connection, rs as ADODB.Recordset, r AS Long, c ASLong

    Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
    cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.Oledb.4.0; " & _
    "Data Source=C:\DoctorBlades.mdb;"

    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    rs.Open "Select * FROM tblDoctorBladesQuery WHERE
    tblDoctorBladesQuery.MachineLocation =
    cboMachineLocation.Value",cn,adOpenDynamic,adLockOptimistic,adCmdText

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Help with Access Database Query!!

    tblDoctorBladesQuery.MachineLocation = " &
    cboMachineLocation.Value ,cn,adOpenDynamic,adLockOptimistic,adCmdText

    Try this. Your cbo value was just a string ("cboMachineLocation.Value"), not
    the value form the cbo...

    HTH

  3. #3
    Vince
    Guest

    RE: Help with Access Database Query!!

    Jim,
    I made the change below, I still get the error when the rs.open is executed.
    The error I get is -2147217900. I don't know if that error code helps or
    not. My code reads as follows:
    rs.Open "Select *FROM tblDoctorBladesQuery WHERE
    tblDoctorBladesQuery.MachineLocation = " & cboMachineLocation.Value , cn,
    adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText.

    Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Help with Access Database Query!!

    What's the text of the error message?

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Help with Access Database Query!!

    Sorry Try this...

    rs.Open "Select *FROM tblDoctorBladesQuery WHERE
    tblDoctorBladesQuery.MachineLocation = """ & cboMachineLocation.Value""" ,
    cn,
    adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText.

    Needs the Quotes...

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Help with Access Database Query!!

    rs.Open "Select *FROM tblDoctorBladesQuery WHERE
    tblDoctorBladesQuery.MachineLocation = """ & cboMachineLocation.Value"""" ,
    cn,
    adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

    I just can't get the quotes correct today... The value returnved by
    cboMachineLocation.Value must be in Quotes in the select statement... I think
    the quotes line up now...

  7. #7
    Vince
    Guest

    RE: Help with Access Database Query!!

    Still not working, but different symptoms. If I use the three quotes, I get
    a syntax error, but two quotes seems to be ok with syntax. Now when the line
    executes I get the following error:

    3709 - The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is
    either closed or invalid in this context.

    Again, the code in sample 1 works, but bring back everything. I never
    imagined it would be so hard to get something out of Access through Excel!

  8. #8
    Dick Kusleika
    Guest

    Re: Help with Access Database Query!!

    Vince

    I'm convinced that it's an SQL syntax problem. Use the sSQL variable to
    create the statement

    sSQL = "Create statement here"
    Debug.Pring sSQL
    rs.Open ssql, cn, etc...

    Look at the SQL that prints in the Immediate Window and you may see what's
    wrong. If not, create a new worksheet in your workbook and insert an
    external data table (Data - External Data) that executes the query that
    you're trying to do through ADO. Hard code the value that would normally
    come from the combobox. When you get that QueryTable set up and working, go
    back to the Immediate Window and type

    ?Sheet1.QueryTables(1).CommandText

    Where Sheet1 is the sheet you created. Compare the SQL you get from that to
    what you're passing to the ADODB.Recordset and you should see the problem.

    --
    **** Kusleika
    Excel MVP