[SOLVED] Web query results in a recordset?

  1. #1
    quartz
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Web query results in a recordset?

    Does anyone know if it is possible to return a web query (e.g. for stock
    info) to be returned in a recordset using ADO, perhaps using a Stream?

    If so, could you please post example code?

    Thanks much in advance.

  2. #2
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: Web query results in a recordset?

    Hi quartz,

    quartz wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to return a web query (e.g. for
    > stock info) to be returned in a recordset using ADO, perhaps using a
    > Stream?

    Does this thread help?

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...93dbf506ee96fd

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  3. #3
    quartz
    Guest

    Re: Web query results in a recordset?

    Thanks again Jake. Is it possible to tweak your code to just get certain
    pieces of data rather than the whole file?

    I am just looking for certain stock information residing on web sites...

    Also, where can I find more example code using Stream, and learn more
    about what it is for, etc.?

  4. #4
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: Web query results in a recordset?

    Hi quartz,

    > Thanks again Jake. Is it possible to tweak your code to just get
    > certain pieces of data rather than the whole file?
    >
    > I am just looking for certain stock information residing on web
    > sites...

    You could use Instr, Mid, etc. to look for specific elements in the
    responsetext. You may be able to work directly with the document using the
    DOM (document object model), but I'm not sure of how to integrate that with
    the XMLHTTP object.

    Another option would be to automate IE (InternetExplorer.Application
    object), navigate to a URL, then parse the document as needed by using
    Document.GetElementById("elementname") or similar. But that requires that
    the HTML elements you need have IDs, which most don't.

    > Also, where can I find more example code using Stream, and learn more
    > about what it is for, etc.?

    Here's a page that gives a good overview, although it's targeted more to the
    web development crowd. You could do a search of MSDN, and you'll probably
    find too much info there. <g>

    http://www.w3schools.com/ado/ado_ref_stream.asp

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  5. #5
    Jamie Collins

    quartz wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to return a web query (e.g. for

    stock
    > info) to be returned in a recordset using ADO, perhaps using a

    Stream?

    Any particular reason for the 'web query' and 'ADO stream/recordset'
    combination? For example, why not an 'XML web service' and 'MS Office
    SOAP Toolkit' combination, for example?

    Jamie.