Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

  1. #1
    SLIDE6
    Guest

    Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    I'm trying to develop a batch process to print large volumes of XLS files.
    I'd like to do that by consuming Excel Viewer 2003 from C#. This process
    already runs by late-binding against Excel, but we're not supposed to run
    Excel our servers anymore. Anyone have docs or experience controlling Excel
    Viewer? Any better ideas?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    You can't control the excel viewer from code - except perhaps with sendkeys.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    SLIDE6,
    What are you trying to achieve ?
    Would printing to pdf suffice ?

    NickHK

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    wouldn't you need to run Excel to print to pdf? He said he can't run excel
    on the machine that is to print the files - at least that is what I
    understood him to say.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    OJ
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    He also said he is writing in C# which means he can control Excel
    Viewer, but I think he might want to post on a C# NG rather than on an
    Excel one, as he doesn;t even want to use Excel!!!!

    Try C-Sharp (C#) NG...
    OJ

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    Tom
    I was thinking a class such as:
    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ellemme/do...DF%201.2.1.zip
    to create your own pdf file, avoiding the need for Excel or its print
    methods.

    Then again depends what the aim is.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    SLIDE6
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    No. Printing to PDF is not acceptable. I happen to really like PDFs, but
    the standard format for our digital documents is 1 BPP multipage G4 TIFs.

  8. #8
    SLIDE6
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    As it turns out, that isn't right. A little bit of sniffing showed that
    Excel Viewer can be controlled via DDE, which is what I'm working to
    leverage now. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Programmatically Controlling Excel Viewer

    > He also said he is writing in C# which means he can control Excel
    > Viewer,

    I was going by this article:

    XL2000: Cannot Edit Automation Objects in Microsoft Excel Viewer

    Now maybe I misinterpreted what is meant by editing automation objects.
    Perhaps you can automate it as far as opening and printing.

    Perhaps you can elaborate on what is doable in C#

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...