Opening a non excel file using vb

  1. #1
    Mike C
    Guest

    Opening a non excel file using vb

    Im trying to create a help file for a program i am making and it is a .rtf
    file. I am having trouble opening it. I can't remember how to make a non-.xls
    file open. im making "F1" the hot key and i have that all figured out. its
    just opening the .rtf file that im having trouble with. If any suggestions
    let me know. Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Mike,

    Use the Shell function...

    Shell(PathName,WindowStyle)

    Example:
    Shell("C:\My Documents\HelpXL.rtf",vbNormalFocus)

    Hope this helps,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    Simon Murphy
    Guest

    RE: Opening a non excel file using vb

    application.followhyperlink "c:\test.rtf" works - but may upset the odd virus
    scanner

    or you can use Shell
    I'm sure there are others, but I can't just find an example in my code

    cheers
    Simon