Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

  1. #1
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    I have a client that cannot open one of our models.
    Sounds like the file is crashing right off opening. He is
    getting a comple error that says "cannot find project or
    library" This client has run these type of spreadsheets
    before. He is using Excel 2003. We are using Excel
    2000. The model opens up properly on my machine.

    In Excel the client has his add-ins installed.
    Analysis Toolpack
    Analysis Toolpack VBA

    In VBA his tools/references have:
    Visual Basic for Applications
    Microsoft Excel 11.0 Library
    OLE Microsoft Office 11.0 LibraryAutomation
    Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library

    The only difference that I can see if that we are using
    the 9.0 library for Excel and Office.

    Why would a later version of Excel not run this file?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    Suspect he might not have your workbook as the active project when looking
    at tools references. Your workbook must be selected in the project explorer
    when he goes to tools references. He should look after he experiences the
    error (might have to hit reset). Then he should see a reference marked as
    MISSING.

    Excel automatically uses the higher version of the libraries.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    If the routine was originally written in Excel 2000 not
    using Option Explicit would this cause problems in Excel
    2003? That is, none of the variables in the routines have
    been declared. Could this be causing a problem in a newer
    version of Excel?

  4. #4
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    Part of the problem here is that we are doing this over
    the phone and the user is not being clear. When the
    routine fails, it pulls up the visual basic editor. At
    that point, when he goes to tools/references, the
    references is greyed out. I had him close the workbook
    completely and then go back to the references and tell me
    what he saw. Are you saying that if the workbook was not
    open then he could see a reference check list that looks
    fine? Shouldn't it be the same regardless of what file is
    open?

  5. #5
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    No. The behavior of Option Explicit has not changed between
    versions of Excel. That said, you should NEVER code without
    Option Explicit. Omitting Option Explicit is almost a guarantee
    of having bugs in a project of any significant size.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  6. #6
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    Ok when the user is clicked on the file in the Project
    window, and then goes to tools/references, there is a
    reference missing. Its the Microsoft Calendar Control
    8.0. When he tries to click on the checkbox, he gets a
    message saying "Can't remove control; reference in use".
    When he scrolls down the list there isn't a reference to
    Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0.

    Why is it in use? If its not in the list below do can
    this be fixed? Is this a file that I could send him?

  7. #7
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    I agree. I didn't build it! I am the unlucky one helping
    support it!

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    No. and not that error.

  9. #9
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    So if the user is missing the Microsoft Calendar Control
    8.0, can I simply send him the Mscal.ocx Active x file and
    have him browse to it in VBA. Then try and open the
    project again?

  10. #10
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    The end user would have to RegSvr32 the control before using it
    in Excel. Go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter

    RegSvr32 "full_filename_of_control"

  11. #11
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    So type this in Run Window

    RegSvr32 Mscal.osx

  12. #12
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    > RegSvr32 Mscal.osx

    This will work in the Mscal.osx file is in a folder specified in
    the Windows Path list of directories. Otherwise, you would need
    to include the entire folder and file name.

  13. #13
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    And Chip, why has this happened? I read some previous
    posts where you said that originally this Active X object
    was a part of Access and that if Access was not loaded
    with the computer there was a chance that neither was the
    Active X control.

    Howeve I am not clear of the user is on a new computer.
    If not, do these controls have a history of not working
    and people like me haveing to use the RefSv32 to register
    them again?

  14. #14
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Comple Error Cannot Find Project or Library

    Are you using this control in your application? If not, then you need to
    remove it as a reference in the source file that you distribute.

    If you are using it, then you need to distribute it if you have the right to
    do so (in this case, I believe you do). It isn't a matter of these controls
    having a problem. It is a matter of using controls in your application and
    not distributing your application in such a manner as to insure that the
    control is available and registered. When you purchase software, you
    usually go through an install routine. The install routine is installing
    and registering components when it is necessary. If you are going to use
    components that are not distributed with excel, then you bear the
    responsibility of creating the environment so your application will work.