How Can I make excel go faster

  1. #1
    Jason Zischke
    Guest

    How Can I make excel go faster

    I have a programme that I use quite often that uses heaps of Loops to do
    certain things however it is at the point of where it takes a long time to
    get to the next thing from 30 seconds to about 2 minutes.

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    That depends on what Certain things are. Turning off Calculation, Events and
    Screen updating usually helps. But bad structured code may run for minutes
    anyway, so may database queries to Oracle and things like that.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Jason Zischke" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    Hi Jason,

    You'll have to provide some more details to enable us to help you. What is
    your code? What are the volumes of the data processed? etc.
    What time do you think is reasonable and why do you think so?

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jason Zischke
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    Hey Harald Staff Thanks for the help, I've tried turning off the calculation
    and that has knocked off about half the time of the code but where I find the
    place to trun off Events ?

  5. #5
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    Disabling events will only speed up code that uses event handler like the on
    change event or such. Basically it avoids recursive calls (where on change
    makes a change and then calls itself becuase of th echange). If your code
    does not have any event handlers then this code will not speed up your
    procedures even in the slightest.

    application.enableevent = false

    and at the end

    application.eneableevents = true

    Make darn sure you rememeber to turn it back on and whenever you are
    toggling these settings it is a good idea to use an error handler to turn
    them back on if something goes south on you... Not that that would ever
    happen... . While you are debugging rememeber that if you hale execution
    before you have reset these values excel will not do what you think it will.
    Also if any of your code relies on change event or... events rememeber these
    will not run.

    HTH

  6. #6
    Jason Zischke
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    Harald Staff, don't worry about my last post I found how to do it and will
    try it as soon as I have access to it, Thanks For your help.

  7. #7
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    >Disabling events will only speed up code that uses event handler like the on
    >change event or such.... If your code does not have any event handlers then
    >this code will not speed up your procedures

    I've often wondered about that. I can envision 2 scenarios:

    1. When an event happens, Excel looks for event handlers; if not found, then
    "go about it's business"? If that's the case, then perhaps EnableEvents tells
    it not to bother looking, and the statement WOULD speed things up.

    2. Excel scans your workbook for the presence of event handlers when it first
    loads and sets some sort of flag to indicate the result. In that case
    EnableEvents would not make a difference, as you say.

  8. #8
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    Hi Myrna,

    Myrna Larson wrote:
    >> Disabling events will only speed up code that uses event handler
    >> like the on change event or such.... If your code does not have any
    >> event handlers then this code will not speed up your procedures

    > I've often wondered about that. I can envision 2 scenarios:
    >
    > 1. When an event happens, Excel looks for event handlers; if not
    > found, then "go about it's business"? If that's the case, then
    > perhaps EnableEvents tells it not to bother looking, and the
    > statement WOULD speed things up.

    I think this scenario is probably closer to reality. I would guess that the
    EnableEvents property tells the Application object and its child objects to
    avoid raising events altogether - thus, there is nothing for the event
    handlers to "listen" to.

    I didn't think setting EnableEvents to False would speed things up much, but
    it did speed things up quite considerably in my limited testing. My test
    consisted of writing values to a cell 100,000 times under these 2
    environments:

    1) ScreenUpdating=False, Calculation=xlCalculationManual, EnableEvents=True

    2) ScreenUpdating=False, Calculation=xlCalculationManual, EnableEvents=False

    I ran this test about 20 times. My tests indicated that environment 2
    (events disabled) resulted in a decrease in execution time of about 25%.

    The performance gain will obviously depend on how many things in your code
    would trigger Excel-related events. Since every action in this test would
    trigger the Change event, I would guess that 25% is the maximum performance
    gain you could expect in the wild.

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  9. #9
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How Can I make excel go faster

    That's good...as long as your code is not using the contents of the
    worksheet(s) for further analysis.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions