Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

  1. #1
    jennifer
    Guest

    Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

    Is there a way to convert a table that lists events with dates to a calendar
    format? For example, I have

    Event Date
    Seminar 4/15/2005
    Posting 5/4/2005
    End 7/20/2005

    I would then have individual sheets for the months with the items above in
    the appropriate boxes in the month calendar. Any help would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

    I am sure you could using a macro

    Seminar, Posting and End are 3 different events?

    One challenge would be fitting the information within the "box" which would
    depend on the length of the text describing the event and the number of
    events which might occur for 1 box (date).

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jennifer
    Guest

    Re: Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

    yes these are 3 separate events that need to appear on the calendar. I can
    work on abbreviations but still need help on how to convert the list and
    create separate worksheets in a calendar format for the 12 months.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

    Assumes you have a sheet in the activeworkbook with the name Event List
    the first event name is in A2 and the date is in B2 and so forth down the
    column with no breaks or interruptions. this should get you started.

    Option Explicit
    Sub BuildCalendar()
    Dim yr As Long
    Dim sName As String
    Dim StartDate As Date
    Dim EndDate As Date
    Dim sh As Worksheet
    Dim rng As Range, cell As Range
    Dim dt As Date, s As String
    Dim idex As Long, i As Long
    Dim v(1 To 366) As String

    With Worksheets("Event List")
    dt = .Cells(2, 2).Value
    yr = Year(dt)
    StartDate = DateSerial(yr, 1, 1)
    EndDate = DateSerial(yr, 12, 31)
    Set rng = .Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(2, 1).End(xlDown))
    End With
    For Each cell In rng
    idex = cell.Offset(0, 1).Value - StartDate + 1
    v(idex) = v(idex) & Chr(10) & cell.Value
    Next

    For i = 1 To 12
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    sName = Format(DateSerial(yr, i, 1), "mmmm")
    Worksheets(sName).Delete
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    On Error GoTo 0
    Next i
    Worksheets.Add after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)
    Set sh = ActiveSheet
    For i = StartDate To EndDate
    If Day(i) = 1 Then
    Worksheets.Add after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)
    Set sh = ActiveSheet
    sh.Name = Format(i, "mmmm")
    MakeCalendar sh, yr, v
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

    Sub MakeCalendar(sh As Worksheet, yr As Long, v() As String)
    Dim dt As Date, dt1 As Date
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
    Dim l As Long, m As Long, n As Long
    Dim cell As Range, rw As Long, col As Long
    sh.Range("A:G").EntireColumn.ColumnWidth = 22
    sh.Rows(1).RowHeight = 35
    With sh.Cells(1, 1).Resize(1, 7)
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection
    .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
    End With
    sh.Cells(1, 1).Value = "'" & sh.Name & " " & yr
    sh.Cells(1, 1).Font.Bold = True
    sh.Cells(1, 1).Font.Size = 35
    With sh.Cells(2, 1).Resize(1, 7)
    .Value = Array("Sunday", "Monday", _
    "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", _
    "Friday", "Saturday")
    .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
    .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
    .Font.Bold = True
    .Font.Size = 16
    .EntireRow.RowHeight = 18
    End With
    For Each cell In sh.Cells(2, 1).Resize(7, 7)
    cell.BorderAround Weight:=xlMedium
    cell.WrapText = True
    If cell.Row >= 3 Then
    cell.HorizontalAlignment = xlGeneral
    cell.VerticalAlignment = xlTop
    End If
    Next
    dt = DateValue(sh.Name & " 1," & yr)
    i = Weekday(dt, vbSunday)
    dt1 = DateSerial(Year(dt), Month(dt) + 1, 0)
    n = dt - DateSerial(Year(dt), 1, 1)
    col = i
    rw = 3
    For k = Day(dt) To Day(dt1)
    n = n + 1
    Cells(rw, col).Value = Trim(k & v(n))
    Cells(rw, col).BorderAround Weight:=xlMedium
    col = col + 1
    If col > 7 Then
    col = 1
    rw = rw + 1
    End If
    Next
    sh.Cells(3, 1).Resize(6, 1).EntireRow.RowHeight = 50

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

    One formatting mistake that affects cells with no events. Here is the
    corrected code:

[...]

    cell.HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
    cell.VerticalAlignment = xlTop
    End If
    Next
    dt = DateValue(sh.Name & " 1," & yr)
    i = Weekday(dt, vbSunday)
    dt1 = DateSerial(Year(dt), Month(dt) + 1, 0)
    n = dt - DateSerial(Year(dt), 1, 1)
    col = i
    rw = 3
    For k = Day(dt) To Day(dt1)
    n = n + 1
    Cells(rw, col).Value = Trim(k & v(n))
    Cells(rw, col).BorderAround Weight:=xlMedium
    col = col + 1
    If col > 7 Then
    col = 1
    rw = rw + 1
    End If
    Next
    sh.Cells(3, 1).Resize(6, 1).EntireRow.RowHeight = 50

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    jennifer
    Guest

    Re: Convert listing of events with dates to calendar - Pls help

    Thanks for the code! I'll give it a go....Regards,
    Jennifer