avoiding select

  1. #1
    Ward Germonpré
    Guest

    avoiding select

    Hi,

    I don't understand why pasting a link is a method of the worksheet object
    instead of the rangeobject.

    According to the helpfiles, the paste methode takes either of 2 parameters:
    destination or link

    If you use destination, pasting as link is impossible.
    If you use link=true, you cannot enter a destination and the link is pasted
    to a cell which you have selected previously.

    Avoiding selects is a fetish of mine. What other situations require
    selecting ?

    thx

    Ward

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: avoiding select

    Shapes such as check boxes need to be selected to be modified.

    activesheet.shapes("Check Box 1").select
    selection.value = xlOn

    I am with you I avoid selecting like the plague.

    HTH

  3. #3

    Re: avoiding select

    This didn't work for you:

    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Check Box 1").ControlFormat.Value = xlOn
    or even:
    ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes("Check Box 1").Value = xlOn

    I like to set a variable to that object.

    dim myShape as shape
    set myshape = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Check Box 1")

    Then put a watch on myShape.

    Then I can step through the code and expand all its properties--until I find the
    one I need.

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: avoiding select

    I haven't done them in a long time. I use the controls off the control
    toolbox now for the most part. I will have to try those out... I remember
    trying to get something very siilar to that to work out but to no avail. I
    was much younger then...

    And you learn something new every day...

    Thanks...