military time function

  1. #1
    Beth
    Guest

    military time function

    is there a function to convert regular time entered into cell into military
    time?

  2. #2
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: military time function

    Hi Beth,

    Beth wrote:
    > is there a function to convert regular time entered into cell into
    > military time?

    It depends on what you're trying to do. If you need the military time as a
    string (text), you could do this:

    =TEXT(A1,"hh:mm:ss")

    If you just need a cell that contains a time entered as 8:30 PM to display
    20:30:00, you can simply format the cell:

    1) Select the cell, right click, choose Format Cells...

    2) Select "Time" from the listbox on the left, then choose the format
    that looks like Military Time (3rd from last on my machine)

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  3. #3
    Beth
    Guest

    Re: military time function

    the time frame that we are use for these specific sheets is 6am - midnight.
    So if 1:00 is entered I need it to automatically change to 13:00 it can never
    be 1:00 (users don'yt know military time). And I was wondering how I could
    make this happen in a certain cell.
    Thanks for your response but I think it's more than a formatiing issue it
    calls for an acutal function or macro maybe, after all data is entered then a
    button is clicked and then all time entries are transformed in the designated
    cells. I should have been more specific sorry any adive that you have would
    be great, thanks.

  4. #4
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: military time function

    Beth,

    Beth wrote:
    > the time frame that we are use for these specific sheets is 6am -
    > midnight. So if 1:00 is entered I need it to automatically change to
    > 13:00 it can never be 1:00 (users don'yt know military time). And I
    > was wondering how I could make this happen in a certain cell.
    > Thanks for your response but I think it's more than a formatiing
    > issue it calls for an acutal function or macro maybe, after all data
    > is entered then a button is clicked and then all time entries are
    > transformed in the designated cells. I should have been more specific
    > sorry any adive that you have would be great, thanks.

    You could do something like this with worksheet event routines, but here's
    the big question: what do you want to happen if someone enters 6:00 - assume
    it's 06:00 or change it to 18:00?

    If you format the cells as military time, then Excel will display them
    correctly for you. But that means the user would have to put the AM or PM
    after the time so Excel could determine what they wanted.

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  5. #5
    Jim at Eagle
    Guest

    RE: military time function

    Beth, I would provide a time entry popup form where user would select by
    radio button the time. This can be very slick and useful or clumsy and
    painful in the ... Be careful how you implement.