This'll stump you! Problem with Copy Sheet between Excel versions

  1. #1
    tdw
    Guest

    This'll stump you! Problem with Copy Sheet between Excel versions

    I wrote a simple macro (code listed below) to individually copy a subset of
    sheets from a workbook to create new workbooks. The orginal workbook has 13
    worksheets and the user wants to copy out 8 worksheets to separate workbooks
    to distribute to others.

    I test it on my machine running Excel 2003 SP1 and everything works fine. I
    test it on another machine running Excel 2000 SP3 and everything works fine.
    My wife tests it at work running Excel 2000 and everything works fine. A
    colleague runs it on his machine and everything works fine. My client,
    running Excel 2002 SP3, runs the macro and it fails. She can't even manually
    copy a sheet in the workbook I've sent her! She works in any other workbook
    and she can manually copy a sheet.

    The VBA command I use to copy a worksheet to a new workbook, the line on
    which the macro fails, is simply "Sheets(shtName).Copy". The error is
    "Path/File access error (Error 75)."

    So, I'm thinking there's some issue between versions. I save my workbook in
    Excel 2003 using "Microsft Excel 97- Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook" file type.
    Open it on the machine running 2000-SP3 and do a Save As using "Microsoft
    Excel Workbook" thinking that it'll now be saved as a 2000 workbook. Send it
    to the client and IT WORKS! ... But Wait ... there are changes ...

    I make the changes, go through the same silly Save As process listed above,
    send it back to the client and ... IT DOESN'T WORK!! What's with that? This
    is just plain rude!

    If you've read this far, I Thank You for sticking with me. If you have any
    suggestions as to what the issue may be or how I might solve the problem I
    would be sincerely grateful!

    Thanks in advance for any help that may be provided!
    tdw

    Private Sub CreateWorkbook(shtName As String, flName As String, asAtDt As
    String)

    Application.StatusBar = "Creating the " + flName + " workbook"
    Sheets(shtName).Copy
    'the following formatting replaces existing formulae with values so that
    the
    'user is not continually prompted to update the formulae when they open
    'the workbook
    ActiveSheet.Range("H1").Value = "'" + asAtDt
    Cells.Find(What:="Plus Already Approved This Fiscal Year",
    LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False).Cells(1, 2).Activate
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
    Cells.Find(What:="Target For This Fiscal Year (High End of Range)",
    LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False).Cells(1, 2).Activate
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
    ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Activate

    With ActiveWorkbook
    .KeepChangeHistory = True
    .SaveAs Filename:=flName, AccessMode:=xlShared
    .Close
    End With

    End Sub

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: This'll stump you! Problem with Copy Sheet between Excel versions

    I would try not sharing the workbook. Based on your scenario, I don't see
    any reason it would need to be shared.

    > With ActiveWorkbook
    > .KeepChangeHistory = True
    > .SaveAs Filename:=flName, AccessMode:=xlShared
    > .Close
    > End With

    would need to be changed to not share the workbook

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: This'll stump you! Problem with Copy Sheet between Excel versions

    This is speculation but you may be having problems because of the
    AccessMode specification. It might be hard to debug remotely but does
    the client have problems with the 2nd (or subsequent) attempt to create
    the file? If so, it increases the likelihood of the AccessMode causing
    the problem.

    Can you ensure that the file is always under exclusive control before
    you try and overwrite it? Or, as a test, can you create a new file
    name each time? Does the problem still occur?

    If the file is on a network drive there might be additional
    security/sharing issues introduced into the analysis by the network
    management software.

    Finally, you may want to search support.microsoft.com for your error:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/...t.aspx?query=%
    22file+access+error%22

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4
    tdw
    Guest

    RE: This'll stump you! Problem with Copy Sheet between Excel versions

    Tom & Tushar, Thank You for your contributions!

    Unfortunately, the problem has nothing to do with the workbook that is
    created being shared. First, the macro bombs before getting to the command
    that specifies the access mode. Second, the access mode on the newly created
    workbook has to be shared in order to track changes. Third, the macro is only
    accessible by one individual that has the 'master' workbook, the one with all
    the worksheets, sitting on her computer.

    The idea is that the macro will copy a subset of the sheets from the master
    workbook, creating individual workbooks for each sheet in the subset. The
    problem is that it bombs 'intermittently' on the first copy sheet command.

    After much hair-pulling and head-scratching we were able to determine that
    the user running the macro has restricted rights that caused the error. In
    all cases and versions of Excel where it worked for me I was running it in an
    environment that was either stand-alone or unrestricted access to network
    resources. We were able to solve the problem on the client's computer by
    ensuring the workbook was being saved and opened from their local hard drive
    (not a network folder) and that the Tools > Options > General > Default file
    location also pointed to a folder on the local hard drive.

    Again, Thank You for your input! If you would like more details please feel
    free to e-mail me.

    Sincerely,
    tdw

  5. #5
    tdw
    Guest

    RE: This'll stump you! Problem with Copy Sheet between Excel versions

    Sorry, my signature wasn't appended to the previous post ...

    Timothy White
    Contract Programmer
    Ontario, Canada