how do set up a database to prepopulate details to a form in exce.

  1. #1
    Squiggy56
    Guest

    how do set up a database to prepopulate details to a form in exce.

    I am setting up a database using access to form a client contact list, I also
    have an in depth form in excell which is used for a client assessment. How
    do set the database up to prepopulate the name, address, and contact details
    using ID to my excell sheet, and to be able to move between sheets back and
    forth?

  2. #2
    gocush
    Guest

    RE: how do set up a database to prepopulate details to a form in exce.

    It sounds like you already have you excel lists set up with column headers.
    Use these column headers as the Field names in your Access Table.

    Then you can store your data in this Access table, and retrieve the data you
    want by creating a query of the table in xl. There are several ways to
    create this query:
    Data>Get External Data
    ADO using vba
    DAO using vba
    for starters.

    Another option is to keep all you data in Excel. There are 65536 rows in
    each xl sheet. If you have more records than this you can put them in more
    sheets. You should keep these sheets strictly for storing the data and
    better yet keep them in a dedicated workBOOK (separate file). Your data
    entry form can be either a UserForm or a Worksheet with vba code to transfer
    the records to the db. Your extract form (report) should be on another sheet
    where you get the query results and do such things as sort, filter and
    analyse the data. Your data workbook does not even need to be opened to do
    this. You will find that keeping you data separated makes it much easier to
    update the forms /backup the data.

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: how do set up a database to prepopulate details to a form in exce.

    Possibly use a parameter query with a query table:

    http://nickhodge.co.uk/gui/datamenu/...taexamples.htm

    You can trigger an update using the change event for the worksheet.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...