Fixed Decimal point

  1. #1
    dave
    Guest

    Fixed Decimal point

    I know This is an excel newsgroup But I cant seem to find the answer to my
    question anywhere so I figured I would ask it here.

    I am using Quattro pro and I want to be able to fix a few cells decmal
    points like you can do on an adding machine. Example if I were to type 1234
    it would automaticly show up as 12.34. Ideally I would like it to show up as
    $12.34.

    I was using Excell at work and found something that moved the decimal over
    for me, but it did it for the whole page not just where I needed it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    RE: Fixed Decimal point

    select th erange or cells that you want to format, under the menu Format /
    Cells..
    choose Currency and check that the $ is the symbol and 2 decimals is selected

    In code
    Selection.NumberFormat = "$0.00;-$0.00;-"
    or
    Range("A1:G20").NumberFormat = "$0.00;-$0.00;-"

  3. #3
    dave
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal point

    Thanks but that did not seem to work. I entered it exatly hoy you typed it.
    Selection.NumberFormat = "$0.00;-$0.00;-"
    Once with out the word selection.
    What I end up with when I put what you said in is that code in every cell
    instead of the numbers? Any ideas what I could be doing wrong.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal point

    I cut and pasted it to a module & it worked perfectly.

    Option Explicit
    Sub test()
    Selection.NumberFormat = "$0.00;-$0.00;-"
    End Sub

    Pardon me for asking, but are you familiar with writing code?

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    dave
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal point

    No I am not too familar with writing code...LOL thats prolly my problem.

    Maybe I am going to the wrong place but I don't think so, I am going to the
    dialog box that shows all the different formats one can choose and I am
    selecting custom. then in the code box labeled Format code I am typing in:
    Selection.NumberFormat = "$0.00;-$0.00;-"

    If this is not where I am supposed to go please point me in the right
    direction.
    Well anyways thanks for your help, you are the only one that has even tried
    to help so I thank you for trying.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal point

    No, you should just type in the format you want where it says format code.
    Patrick was including how to do it in VBA code as well since this is the
    programming group.

    $0.00;-$0.00;-

    or you might want

    But I thought you said you were trying to do this in Quattro Pro?

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:ej%[email protected]...