Hide Password Technique ???

  1. #1
    Neal Zimm
    Guest

    Hide Password Technique ???

    I've read a lot of the posts here re: passwording. and have a
    feel for what can and cannot be done.

    I'm relatively new to VBA coding, but have a need to password
    protect a worksheet in the VB code.

    I don't really want to 'hide' the code from view.
    I suppose I can construct a routine that concatenates a bunch of
    characters into a password and use it.

    Any tips out there on another technique to keep a 'casual' user
    from just looking at the code to pickup the password?

    Thanks.

    --
    Neal Z

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Hide Password Technique ???

    If you want to share the code, no, there's not much you can do to
    protect the password. Short of a asymmetric key algorithm any key you
    use can be trivially decoded by reading the code. Actually, even if
    the code is protected, unless one takes special precautions, it is
    relatively easy finding passwords.

    And, all this ignores the fact that in the first place XL/VBA password
    protection is far from secure.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Neal Zimm
    Guest

    Re: Hide Password Technique ???

    Thanks for the input Tushar,
    You have validated what I read.
    I can guess the answer to this is no, but I'll ask anyway.
    If I have an application that I'm trying to sell, to send someone a
    'demo' version, is there a way to send only the compiled code? If they buy
    the application, then I have no problem sending the source. I'd rather not
    send the source and 'trust' a prospect not to keep a copy.

    Thanks again,
    Neal

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Hide Password Technique ???

    To send compiled code you would have to use VB (or some other language).
    Within the Office environment, you could create a COM add-in. This
    requires you have either VB or the Office XP Developers edition.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  5. #5
    Neal Zimm
    Guest

    Re: Hide Password Technique ???

    Thanks, if you don't mind, should this come into being, I'll contact you via
    your website. Thanks again,
    Neal