Excel 2003 crashing - turn off autorecover?

  1. #1
    Ken Valenti
    Guest

    Excel 2003 crashing - turn off autorecover?

    My office just recently converted to Excel 2003 (from 97) - and it seems that
    it crashes way more than 2000 or 97. In fact, sometimes I now open files in
    97 and save with 97 to make the Excel files smaller and it seems to help out
    the crashing issue as well.

    And then autorecover always takes over and it just gets in the way. I am in
    the habit of saving anything I want to keep before running anything, so it's
    just an additional step. I've turned autorecover off - but it appears that
    there is also an autorecover associated with the workbook or something - but
    it still seems to go into autorecovery mode.

    I am a programmer and work exclusively with VBA (mostly Excel) - but it
    seems that other people at my office are having similar experiences (with
    2003 crashing more), and they work with spreadsheets without any VBA. And
    autorecover mode just confuses the issue.

    Is there a way to disable autorecover altogether? And why are the files so
    much bigger? I'm keeping 97 on my machine just to fix this problem and to
    compress files.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 crashing - turn off autorecover?

    >>I've turned autorecover off - but it appears that there is also an
    >>autorecover associated with the workbook or something - but

    it still seems to go into autorecovery mode.

    I've turned it off too, by unchecking the "Save AutoRecovery..." box, and
    it's stayed off, not saving a recovery workbook, etc. So you're seeing that
    a recovery workbook is being saved to the Autorecovery save location despite
    the feature being turned off?

    I haven't seen much more crashing in Excel 2003 but I have seen the file
    shrinking you mentioned when saving in Excel 2000 (I don't use 97). I think
    though that that is mostly because the VB project becomes uncompiled. If
    you ran the code (in all the modules) I think you'd see the size come back
    to a large extent.

    One thing I've seen that you haven't mentioned is that macros run slower by
    a factor of about 1.6 in 20333 versus 2000.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Valenti
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 crashing - turn off autorecover?

    I have a macro I just wrote that runs in 5 seconds in Excel 97 and takes
    almost 5 minutes ( 4 minutes 50 seconds) in Excel 2003.