vba is converting text to values!

  1. #1
    Bill_S
    Guest

    vba is converting text to values!

    Need help with vba in Excel. I have a list of zip codes many of which begin
    with zeroes so I have converted them to text using Excel's built-in Text
    function: Text(ZipCode,"00000"). When I run the vba command to assign the
    value of a zip to another cell on the spreadsheet, it converts it to a
    number, not as text, and thus my routine bombs on subsequent lines of code on
    a "type mismatch."

    ex: Range("NewZip").Value = Range("OldZip").Value

    where OldZip is the original zip code formatted as text and NewZip is the
    cell where the value of the zip code is assigned--with the leading zeroes
    stripped off. Is there some sort of Text command in vba whereby I could do
    something like:

    Range("NewZip").Value = Text(Range("OldZip).Value,"0000")

    you know, kind of like the built-in Excel text command?

  2. #2
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: vba is converting text to values!

    Very close.

    Range("NewZip").Value = Format(Range("OldZip).Value,"00000")

    (I think you were missing a zero in your format.)

    --

    Vasant

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3