Validate Combobox entry

  1. #1
    MBlake
    Guest

    Validate Combobox entry

    Hi,
    Please could someone advise if it is possible to prevent a user from
    entering free text into a combobox?. If so, are there any examples
    available, I have searched around the 'net but it is not clear.

    Mickey

  2. #2
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Validate Combobox entry

    "MBlake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > Please could someone advise if it is possible to prevent a user from
    > entering free text into a combobox?. If so, are there any examples
    > available, I have searched around the 'net but it is not clear.

    Hi Mickey,

    If you're talking about a Controls toolbar ComboBox (the same kind you
    put on UserForms) then just change its Style property to "2 -
    fmStyleDropDownList" in the Properties window. This style only allows the
    user to select items already in the list. If you type into a ComboBox
    control with this style it attempts to find a matching item in the existing
    list by default. You can modify this behavior using the MatchEntry property
    of the ComboBox.

    --
    Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
    Application Professionals

    * Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
    * Professional Excel Development
    http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

  3. #3
    MBlake
    Guest

    Re: Validate Combobox entry

    Hi Rob,
    Excellent, many thanks for your kind help. I am as you can see a newcomer
    to Excel Userforms. I have been considering Professional Excel Development
    which I believe you worked on, if so can you say if the book is just for
    experts or will it be of some support to me?

    Cheers,
    Mickey

  4. #4
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Validate Combobox entry

    "MBlake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Rob,
    > Excellent, many thanks for your kind help. I am as you can see a newcomer
    > to Excel Userforms. I have been considering Professional Excel
    > Development which I believe you worked on, if so can you say if the book
    > is just for experts or will it be of some support to me?

    Hi Mickey,

    I'd wait until you have a good grounding in Excel VBA before diving into
    Professional Excel Development. A better starting place would be our
    previous book The Excel 2002 VBA Programmer's Reference. Don't worry about
    the Excel version number in the title, virtually everything covered in that
    book works in all current versions of Excel. Also, skip the 2003 version of
    the book, which has our names on it but which we did not contribute to (long
    story).

  5. #5
    MBlake
    Guest

    Re: Validate Combobox entry

    Thanks Rob,
    One Programmers Reference purchased.

    Mickey

  6. #6
    MBlake
    Guest

    Re: Validate Combobox entry

    Hi Rob,
    What a great book choice that was, the book is excellent and a great help.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Mickey