Saving a xls as a xlt

  1. #1
    ole_
    Guest

    Saving a xls as a xlt

    Hi,

    i am trying to save a xls file as a xlt file, but when i save it on a
    network share or "C:\" it don't
    function as a XLT file (you can "save" it, it dosn't popup as " save as"),
    but if i save it
    in the propper place (c:\documents and s...\ole\application
    data\microsoft\template)
    it works, is there a way to save it as C:\mytemplate.xlt where it will
    function as a xlt file.

    AHA.
    Ole

  2. #2
    papou
    Guest

    Re: Saving a xls as a xlt

    Hi
    Not sure but it may just be that you do not select the correct file type
    when you try Save As?

    HTH
    Cordially
    Pascal

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ole_
    Guest

    Re: Saving a xls as a xlt

    Nope, i have tried ten times on differtent paths and the only thing that
    works is c:\documents and s...\ole\application data\microsoft\template.

    It dont nessesary need to be a XLT file but the user may not have the "save"
    option, thats why i would like it to be a XLT file

    AHA
    Ole

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: Saving a xls as a xlt

    If you are using Microsoft Windows 95 or later, or Microsoft Windows NT
    version 4.0 or later, you can make a custom template available to others by
    storing the template on a network location. For example, you might want all
    users in your workgroup to use a custom template for a special project
    without having to place individual copies of the template on each desktop.
    Instead, place the template in a folder in a network location that is
    accessible by all users in your group. Then create a shortcut to the folder
    or template, and have users place the shortcut in their Templates folder.

    From the Help file..

    Mike F

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Saving a xls as a xlt

    papou asked if you really saved the file as a template.

    At the bottom of the File|SaveAs dialog, there's a: "Save As Type" box

    Did you select "Template (*.xlt)" in that dropdown.

    (Change this first, then change the location to your network folder.)

    ===

    If you did this, then when the users open this template, do they get the
    template itself (with a name of mytemplate.xlt in the title bar) or do they get
    a new workbook based on that template (with a name of mytemplate1 (no extension)
    in the title bar)?

    Are the users doing File|New to create the new workbook?

    ===
    An alternative. Save your file as mytemplate.xls (just a regular workbook), but
    then use windows explorer to mark that file as ReadOnly. It isn't foolproof,
    but it's usually sufficient.

  6. #6
    ole_
    Guest

    Re: Saving a xls as a xlt

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > papou asked if you really saved the file as a template.

    Yes i did

    > At the bottom of the File|SaveAs dialog, there's a: "Save As Type" box
    >
    > Did you select "Template (*.xlt)" in that dropdown.

    YES

    > (Change this first, then change the location to your network folder.)
    >
    > ===
    >
    > If you did this, then when the users open this template, do they get the
    > template itself (with a name of mytemplate.xlt in the title bar) or do

    they get
    > a new workbook based on that template (with a name of mytemplate1 (no

    extension)

    They get a new workbook based on the template call mytemplate1

    > Are the users doing File|New to create the new workbook?

    YES

    > An alternative. Save your file as mytemplate.xls (just a regular

    workbook), but
    > then use windows explorer to mark that file as ReadOnly. It isn't

    foolproof,
    > but it's usually sufficient.

    Yes, and then i now have made this as a backup :-)

    Boolean)

    If SaveAsUI = False Then
    MsgBox "Husk og brug 'Gem Som' når du gemmer denne fil", vbCritical

    Cancel = True
    End If

    And that is okay for me.

    Thanks for your help
    Ole

  7. #7
    ole_
    Guest

    Re: Saving a xls as a xlt

    Hi mike,

    I can't see how that should help me, if i have to make a shourtcut to all
    users
    or copy the file it self to all users it's pretty much the same (and to much
    work:-)

    Thanks
    Ole

    news:[email protected]...