how to detect added or deleted rows in compare

  1. #1
    helpwithXL
    Guest

    how to detect added or deleted rows in compare

    Hi all,
    thanx to all who replied to my earlier questions specially Tom Ogilvy,
    David, keepITcool. now i have a question about a comparison
    tool(add-in) that i am developing now for excel sheets. i have 2 large
    excel sheets with 100-150 columns and 7-800rows. I have to compare
    almost each cell of 1 sheets to each cell almost similar 2nd sheet. my
    comparison works fine till i dont add or delete any rows from the 2nd
    sheet. so my question is how do i detect the addition/deletion of rows
    in sheets. I cant have a flag or something similar in the last column
    as an unique ID or something bcos i cant change generation of sheets. i
    have seen a version of unix diff command in which this prob of line
    addition/deletion is solved but i dont know the logic behind it.
    can some one point in the right direction.
    TIA
    Amit

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: how to detect added or deleted rows in compare

    go to Chip Pearson's site, to the downloads page

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm

    there should be a compare addin built by Myrna Larson and Bill Manville.
    Perhaps it will suite your needs or you can look at the code and see how
    they handled this situation (I haven't used it, so I can't say it does
    handle this, but I would expect it would).

    --
    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy