Dynamic Range with another workbook

  1. #1
    Carim
    Guest

    Dynamic Range with another workbook

    Hi,

    I am looking for a solution to simultaneously take of advantage of the
    Dynamic Range as explained by Debra :
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic
    and keep the source database in a separate workbook, different from the
    one which contains all the pivot tables ...

    Thanks in advance for your comments
    Cheers
    Carim

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    Put the names in source workbook. When creating the PT specify the
    name rather than the range.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Carim
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    Hello Tushar,

    If I am not mistaken it is exactly what I am doing and I keep getting
    an error message :
    Reference is not valid ...
    I guess I have missed something ...
    Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Carim

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    In the source workbook, Book4 in my test, I created a name covering 2
    columns and as many rows of data as are present:

    myRng =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet2!$A:$A),2)

    In Book5, the workbook containing the PT, in the PT wizard I specified
    Book4!myrng as the source.

  5. #5
    Carim
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    I think I did not expressed myself clearly enough.
    It works fine as long as the second workbook is open ... as soon as it
    is closed, the source range is no longer recognized.
    Whereas, when one uses static ranges, it works in both cases (second
    workbook open or closed)
    Hope I have clarified my question.

    Regards
    Carim

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    Think you need to include code in the source workbook which will hard code
    the extent of the named range upon closing. If it is essential that it be
    dynamic when opened, then in the workbook open event, redefine it with the
    appropriate formula - otherwise, just depend on the beforeclose event to
    hard code it.

    worksheets("Data").Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Name = "Database"

    as an example.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Carim
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    Tom,

    Thanks a lot ...
    I will give it a try right away ...
    Cheers
    Carim

  8. #8
    Carim
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range with another workbook

    Tom,

    Thanks for your hint ... I have now managed to hardcode the range in
    the source workbook, which means I can now operate the "pivot-tables"
    workbook ...
    Again thanks a lot !!!
    Best Regards
    Carim