BOM and Unicode CSV's

  1. #1
    Danny Mosquito
    Guest

    BOM and Unicode CSV's

    Hi,

    I am currently exporting data to a CSV file so to be viewed by Excel.
    I need to support the exporting of data in Japanese so therefore the
    CSV needs to support Unicode. The issue is that Excel seems to have
    problems differentiating a file that contains Unicode chars. After
    exploring the internet I have found that you need to use a BOM in the
    first few bytes of the file to tell excel what sort of encoding has
    been used. I have found different codes to use but cannot seem to
    find much information on what the codes actually stand for. Here are
    the codes I have tried.

    0xEF 0xBB 0xBF This actually maintains the comma separation but the
    text is garbage I am assuming that this is because this one sets UTF-8
    encoding when I am just using straight unicode.

    0xFF 0xFE This actually makes Excel open the CSV file in Unicode
    correctly displaying the Japanese characters but it defaults to a TAB
    deliminated separator instead. At the moment I can simply use tabs to
    separate fields instead of the commas but I anticipate maybe not all
    spread sheeting programs have the tab deliminated feature?

    I guess what I am after is some more information on BOM's and how
    Excel interprets them. Does anyone know of a BOM code that will tell
    Excel that the CSV file is comma separated and that it contains
    straight Unicode.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a nice day....
    Danny Mosquito

  2. #2
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: BOM and Unicode CSV's

    Excel does not interpret a BOM any further then to see
    if the (text) file is unicode or not.

    Worse:
    you have very limited control if a text file's extension
    is CSV. The only way you'll get the Import wizard is
    to change the file's extension from .CSV to .TXT

    Excel saves CSV files with localized separators and number (DATE!)
    formats. (so the comma may turn out to be a
    Unless you save via VBA, then all of a sudden in saves in USEnglish.

    If you are automating have a look at OpenText and TextToColumns methods
    If you are using xlXP+ OPenText and SaveAs have a LOCAL argument,
    to open/save localized vs USEnglish.

    hth

    --
    keepITcool

  3. #3
    Danny Mosquito
    Guest

    Re: BOM and Unicode CSV's

    Thanks for that mate I will try using .txt extensions instead.

    Danny