Excel 2002 UDF screen tips

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    Excel 2002 UDF screen tips

    Greetings and TIA for your time.
    When typing a standard excel function directly into a cell a screen tip is
    displayed showing the function arguments. This is an excellent time saver
    when using unfamiliar functions. The current argument to be typed is shown in
    bold text. Is there any way to add this feature to User Defined Functions?
    --
    David

  2. #2
    Patrick Molloy
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2002 UDF screen tips

    if you type =function then SHIFT+Ctrl+A the variables will be typed in
    eg function abc(x a slong, y as long)....end function

    =abc [SHIFT]+[Ctrl]+[A]
    results in
    =abc(x,y)

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2002 UDF screen tips

    There are a couple of ways, one not too robust, one that requires a dll.

    The not too robust way, suggested by Laurent Longre and working for two
    parameters is :-
    Const Lib = """c:\windows\system\user32.dl**l"""
    Option Base 1

    Private Function Multiply(N1 As Double, N2 As Double) As Double
    Multiply = N1 * N2
    End Function

    '=============================**=============

    Private Function Divide(N1 As Double, N2 As Double) As Double
    Divide = N1 / N2
    End Function

    '=============================**=============

    Sub Auto_open()

    Register "DIVIDE", 3, "Numerator,Divisor", 1, "Division", _
    "Divides two numbers", """Numerator"",""Divisor """, "CharPrevA"
    Register "MULTIPLY", 3, "Number1,Number2", 1, "Multiplication", _
    "Multiplies two numbers", """First number"",""Second number """, _
    "CharNextA"

    End Sub

    '=============================**=============

    Sub Register(FunctionName As String, NbArgs As Integer, _
    Args As String, MacroType As Integer, Category As String, _
    Descr As String, DescrArgs As String, FLib As String)

    Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro _
    "REGISTER(" & Lib & ",""" & FLib & """,""" & String(NbArgs, "P") _
    & """,""" & FunctionName & """,""" & Args & """," & MacroType _
    & ",""" & Category & """,,,""" & Descr & """," & DescrArgs & ")"

    End Sub

    '=============================**=============

    Sub Auto_close()

    Dim FName, FLib
    Dim I As Integer
    FName = Array("DIVIDE", "MULTIPLY")
    FLib = Array("CharPrevA", "CharNextA")
    For I = 1 To 2
    With Application
    .ExecuteExcel4Macro "UNREGISTER(" & FName(I) & ")"
    .ExecuteExcel4Macro "REGISTER(" & Lib & _
    ",""CharPrevA"",""P"",""" & FName(I) & """,,0)"
    .ExecuteExcel4Macro "UNREGISTER(" & FName(I) & ")"
    End With
    Next

    End Sub

    The dll solution:
    Also from Laurent Longre, you use the FUNCUSTOMIZE utility .Get it at
    http://longre.free.fr/english/

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...