Windows Excel application on Mac

  1. #1
    vrk1
    Guest

    Windows Excel application on Mac

    I have a windows Excel application that I developed in VBA. I would like to
    use this app in a Mac Environment (Excel for Mac).

    Has anyone experienced any problems in applications developed in Windows
    environment but deployed in a Mac environment?

    Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Windows Excel application on Mac

    Hate to say this: Yes, nothing but problems.

    Mac VBA is still VB5 and lack the newer VB6 methods. Macs don't run ActiveX
    controls in Excel. Windows API functions will err for obvious reasons. And
    there's graphics; a little picture can take the whole thing down.

    All those compatibility errors affect Mac owners, and this is where your
    problems begin... <bg>

    Best wishes Harald

    "vrk1" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Windows Excel application on Mac

    (1) Develop in Windows Excel 97 SR2. Test on later Windows versions and on
    Mac.

    (2) Do not use Active X controls. Do not use Windows API functions.

    (3) Seek assistance in microsoft.public.mac.office.excel.

    (4) If your interface uses a dialog box (User Form), consider design
    differences in fonts and spacing. For an example of one such solution, see
    my free Better Histogram add-in at www.treeplan.com/better.htm.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Edwin Tam
    Guest

    RE: Windows Excel application on Mac

    There are differences between the Excel VBA features on the PC and on the
    Mac. However, for most users and for most of programming situations, the
    differences mean nothing.

    Therefore, you need to be aware of the existence of the differences, but you
    don't need to be "scared" by such differences.

    For most users, the key points to note:
    1) You can use any Excel or even Excel 2003 to develop your application.
    2) Then, you need to test run it on the Mac.
    3) Using the debug tools in VBA Editor to locate the run-time errors, if
    exist. It should be very easy to debug.
    4) Do not insert JPG files into UserForms
    5) To dismiss a UserForm use:
    Me.Hide
    End
    Do not just use End. It won't dismiss reliably the form on the Mac.
    6) To add items to a listbox, use AddItem. Do not use an multi-dimension
    array to assign values to listboxes. It'll crash the Mac Excel (sometimes).
    7) You need to reset the dimensions of controls on UserForms on the Mac.

    There are other differences. But most users won't need to know them. For
    example,
    8) There is no Pivot Chart on the Mac
    9) The statements for constructing PivotTables are a bit different. (fewer
    arguments)
    10) The Mac support QuickTime picture format on UserForms
    11) The way you call another Office application, e.g. Word is slightly
    different on the Mac.
    12) No Windows API on the Mac

    Overall, bear in mind the key differences, and test/debug your application
    on the Mac. Therefore shouldn't be any fatal problem.

    Regards,
    Edwin Tam
    [email protected]
    http://www.vonixx.com