Student needs formula

  1. #1
    Mickey Mouse
    Guest

    Student needs formula

    A marathon race begins at 8.30am

    Contestants stop for water break at 8.30.22 until 8.30.55

    The race ends at 10.55.16am

    How long did the race take to complete and how long was their water break?

    The race took 2hrs 25mins 16secs to complete
    Water break 33 secs

    Easy enough to work out in your head but how do you get excel to work it
    out?

    I'm a very new student with excel(2000) formulae and would like to examine
    how it's done? Please.

    TIA
    Mickey

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Student needs formula

    Hi,
    As an example:

    In A1 put 08:30:00 Excel recognises data is entered as time (hh:mm:ss)
    in B1 put 10:55:16
    in C1 put "=B1-A1" without quotation marks (") formula for simple subtraction

    C1 should show 02:25:16

    in D1 put 08:30:22
    in E1 put 08:30:55
    in F1 put "=E1-D1" (again without quotation marks)

    F1 should be 00:00:33

    HTH

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Student needs formula

    Mickey,
    You can also deduce that it was a very hot day, as the runners needed to
    stop for water after a mere 22 seconds of exertion.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...