File Origin Japanese when importing textfiles

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Rasmus
    Guest

    File Origin Japanese when importing textfiles

    Weird problem: Whenever I manually import a textfile into Excel it always
    suggest it's file orign to be '932 : Japanese (Shift-JIS)' although I have
    never used that language in my Windows XP Pro setup - I have no idea why it
    suggests this. Also the whole file will obviously be imported in Japanese
    characters if I choose to import it with the suggested language setting.

    Anyone have any ideas how to change it to default settings ? I'm not using
    any 'weird' or out-of-the-ordinary text files.

    The correct format is actually 'Windows (Ansi)', so how do I get Excel to
    understand that ?

    Kind regards
    Rasmus

  2. #2
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: File Origin Japanese when importing textfiles

    Rasmus

    maybe some registry settings were fouled.
    probably:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Text
    CharacterSet ANSI (REG_SZ stringvalue)

    if you have a copy op JETSQL40.CHM on your system
    (installed with Access) you'll find them the topics explained.
    else you have to try MSDN

    Registry Settings for External Data Sources
    - Initializing the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine Driver
    - Initializing the Text and HTML Data Source Driver

    hth

    --
    keepITcool