How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the same.

  1. #1
    DC appleyards
    Guest

    How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the same.

    We have a series of sheets within one workbook. On each worksheet we want the
    name of the worksheet (tab) to appear in a specific cell.

    i.e E13 = the worksheet (tab) name

  2. #2
    Nigel
    Guest

    Re: How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the same.

    Worksheets(1).Range("E13").Value = Worksheets(1).Name

    this allows you to control a loop to name all sheets eg...

    Dim xs as integer
    for xs = 1 to worksheets.count
    worksheets(xs).Range("E13").Value = Worksheets(xs).Name
    next xs

    or simply for the current sheet just use.....

    Range("E13").Value = ActiveSheet.Name

    --
    Cheers
    Nigel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the same.

    DC, put this i E13, note workbook must have been saved for this to work
    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

  4. #4
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the same.

    You could try pasting this code in the "ThisWorkbook" section

    It will automatically insert the name into the cell. If this is for
    printing, I'd recommend selecting the footer/header from the print setup....

    Private Sub Workbook_NewSheet(ByVal Sh As Object)
    Range("E13").Select
    ActiveCell.Value = ActiveSheet.Name
    End Sub

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the same.

    Hi ...,
    You could actually use a Worksheet Solution:

    E13:
    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)

    The CELL formulas with "filename" will not work until the file has been saved (#VALUE! error).

    If you want a macro to generate the worksheet name into cell E13 of each
    sheet it would be safer to generate the formula into the cell rather than using
    application.activesheet.name

    WARNING the following would change every sheets cell E13
    You could make this safer by checking that the cell is empty first.
    Public Sub Messwith_E13_LoopSheets() Application.Calculation = xlManual 'xl97 up use xlCalculationManual
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim csht As Long For csht = 1 To ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count 'worksheet or sheets
    Sheets(csht).Range("E13").Formula = _ "=MID(CELL(""filename"",A1),FIND(""]"",CELL(""filename"",A1))+1,255)" Next csht
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic 'xl97 up use xlCalculationAutomaticEnd SubMore
    information in the following web pages:
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm

    Please use your name in the newsgroups, at least in your signature if not in your
    email address.
    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6
    Manya S
    Guest

    Re: How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the s

    I used your =MID... formula and it worked great, my associate who asked me
    how to achieve this will be very PLEASED. She was told that it required some
    long program, but once I set up the formula I copied it to each worksheet in
    a different location to test it out. So one key-in can be copied to any
    worksheet. This is GREAT!!

  7. #7
    Manya S
    Guest

    Re: How do I get to cell to insert a tab (worksheet) name on the s

    Upon further experiments with this formula, I've discovered that it takes all
    cell formatting set-ups with it. So format the cell the way you want it first
    before copying to other worksheets. One size fits all. If you wish different
    formats, I suggest creating a master workbook with worksheets for each
    different format to copy to other workbooks.