Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

  1. #1
    Andrzej
    Guest

    Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    hello everyone,

    I have two file. When I work in first file (p2.xls) i need to find something
    in second file(p1.xls). Then write in the ActiveCell of p2.xls, provided
    that Cecha is found

    I have button with code: but Why it doesn't work...

    I made mistake ?? where...

    Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
    Dim Cecha As String
    Dim szukana As Range
    Static adres As String

    Cecha = InputBox("Podaj nazwe cechy (Enter the name)", "Wprowad¼ warto¶ę
    (Enter value)")
    If Cecha = "" Then Exit Sub

    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
    "H:\Documents and Settings\ANDRZEJ\Pulpit\test\p1.xls"

    If adres = "" Then

    Set szukana = Cells.Find(What:=Cecha, _
    After:=ActiveCell, _
    LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
    SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
    MatchCase:=False)
    Else

    Set szukana = Cells.FindNext(ActiveCell)

    End If

    If Not szukana Is Nothing Then

    If szukana.Address <> adres Then
    szukana.Activate
    If adres = "" Then
    adres = szukana.Address
    End If
    Else
    MsgBox ("Przeszukiwanie zakończone !!(End finding)")
    adres = ""
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    ActiveCell = Cecha
    End If
    Else
    adres = ""
    MsgBox ("Przykro mi, ale (Sorry, but) " & Cecha & " nie znaleziono (was
    not found)")
    ActiveWorkbook.Close

    and second version (it doesn't work also )

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

    Dim Cecha As String
    Dim szukana As Range
    Static adres As String

    Cecha = InputBox("Podaj nazwe cechy (Enter the name)", "Wprowad¼ warto¶ę
    (Enter value)")
    If Cecha = "" Then Exit Sub

    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
    "H:\Documents and Settings\ANDRZEJ\Pulpit\test\p1.xls"
    Dim notthere As Range
    Set notthere = Cells.Find(What:=Cecha, After:=ActiveCell,
    LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
    xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
    False, SearchFormat:=False)
    If notthere Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox ("Przykro mi, ale (Sorry, but) " & Cecha & " nie znaleziono
    (was not found)")
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    Exit Sub
    Else
    Cells.Find(What:=Cecha, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=
    _
    xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
    False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    ActiveCell.Formula = Cecha

    Andrzej, Student from Poland

  2. #2
    Ashley Bragg
    Guest

    RE: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    In both of these exerpts you define a static variable "adres" but don't
    assign it a value. Why?

    Ashley

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    What do you mean by doesn't work? I just tested the first and it either
    doesn't find the value and gives a message to that effect. or does find it
    and activates that cell. That looks like what is intended.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andrzej
    Guest

    Re: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    Hi,

    It isn't impossible. At me only gives a message :"Przykro mi, ale (Sorry,
    but) " & Cecha & " nie znaleziono (was not found) "

    Problem in this that it does not find value, even that it is..

    I do not know why. Especially that at you it works

    Uæytkownik "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> napisa³ w
    wiadomo¶ci news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Andrzej
    Guest

    Re: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    in fact .. but this is not problem. Problem in this that always displays
    message:

    "Przykro mi, ale (Sorry, but) " & Cecha & "nie znaleziono (was not found)"

    why it dosn't work??

    Uæytkownik "Ashley Bragg" <[email protected]> napisa³ w

  6. #6
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    Hi Andrzej

    I notice in this post that you have declared szukana as Range
    Cecha as String, and Static adres as String

    however, you have changed the code I originally posted. I suggest you
    delete what you have, and copy and paste the following instead, and only
    amend the special characters!

    Sub CommandButton3_Click()
    Dim szukana As Range
    Dim Cecha as String

    Cecha = InputBox("Podaj nazwe cechy", "Wprowad warto")
    If Cecha = "" Then Exit Sub
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
    "C:\Documents and Settings\J Kasselman\My Documents\p1.xls"
    Set szukana = Cells.Find(What:=Cecha, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
    LookAt:= _
    xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
    MatchCase:= _
    False, SearchFormat:=False)
    If szukana Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "Przykro mi, ale" & Cecha & "nie znaleziono"
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    Exit Sub
    Else
    Cells.Find(What:=Cecha, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
    xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
    MatchCase:= _
    False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    ActiveCell.Value = Cecha

  7. #7
    Andrzej
    Guest

    Re: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    I know what we did not understand.

    Yours code searched in p2.xls and I it wants in order to p1 searched. if
    feature will write in to p2. NOT ON INVERSELY!!

    Yours code does not work!!!

  8. #8
    Kassie
    Guest

    Re: Cells.Find , why it DOESN'T search ? help

    Did you insert your code in P2 or in P1?