How can cells be filled in to show quantities?

  1. #1
    edish
    Guest

    How can cells be filled in to show quantities?

    I want to graphically represent different periods of production time, i.e.
    manufacture, change over, clean down, etc. by blocking out rows of cells.
    e.g. convert 8.15,1.5,6.45,1 into a row showing 8.15 cells blocked in say
    green, followed by 1.5 cells blocked in red, followed by 6.45 cells blocked
    in green, followed by 1 cell blocked in black. It will be a rough cut
    capacity planning spread sheet.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    2003 Excel
    could you not use a stacked bar graph instead?

    HTH,

    Greg.

  3. #3
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: How can cells be filled in to show quantities?

    By "blocking in" assume you mean using the fill color of the cells. But
    blocking in say, 8.15 cells would not be possible this way: a cell's
    background is either filled or not filled, you can't fill only part of the
    cell this way. You could multiply your values by 100 to get whole numbers of
    cells (e.g. 8.15 becomes 815), but you would have to make them very small to
    fit on screen or a page of paper.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How can cells be filled in to show quantities?

    You can't color portions of a cell. What you could do is use 4 cells per
    block or 20 cells per block - what ever would meet the resolution you need
    to attain (you can shrink the cells to make them more manageable). You
    could then group them by removing outlines and putting a border around each
    single unit time.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...