hide / unhide names

  1. #1
    Michael Beckinsale
    Guest

    hide / unhide names

    Hi,

    Whilst reviewing a spreadsheet created by somebody else l have come across
    something l have never seen before !

    Hidden range names

    Can somebody please tell me :

    a) How do you hide range names
    b How do you unhide range names

    I have carefully inspected the VBA Modules in the workbook and there isn't
    any code relating to hiding / unhiding range names. The cells containing the
    hidden names have not been hidden using Cells,Protection,Hide and anyway the
    worksheets / workbook are not protected.

    I can identify and unhide the using Karl Patrese's Name Manager but l would
    like to know how its done. On reviewing the VBA code contained in the
    workbook l think it is unlikely that the original author hid some 40 codes
    spread across many randon cells and worksheets by code then deleted it.

    All contributions gratefully received

    Regards

    Michael Beckinsale

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: hide / unhide names

    Hi Michael,

    > a) How do you hide range names

    Sub CreateHiddenName()
    ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add "MyName", _
    Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A10")
    ActiveWorkbook.Names("MyName").Visible = False

    End Sub

    > b How do you unhide range names

    Sub MakeAllNamesVisible()
    Dim NM As Name

    For Each NM In ActiveWorkbook.Names
    NM.Visible = True
    Next

    End Sub

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: hide / unhide names

    the only way I know is to do it with code.

    Sub MakeHidden()
    Dim nm as Name
    For Each nm In ThisWorkbook.Names
    nm.Visible = False
    Next

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Michael Beckinsale
    Guest

    Re: hide / unhide names

    Norman / Tom

    Many thanks for your prompt replies.

    The code that you sent will be very useful

    Regards

  5. #5
    Walt
    Guest

    RE: hide / unhide names

    Hi Michael,

    I can understand your puzzlement. A few years back I saw a number of cases
    that might explain what you've observed in the following: "On reviewing the
    VBA code contained in the workbook l think it is unlikely that the original
    author hid some 40 codes spread across many random cells and worksheets by
    code then deleted it."

    All of those cases involved spreadsheets originally developed in Lotus 123
    and converted to Excel. Some of the names persisted though the references
    were no longer valid.

    Glad you've had the other feedback and results. And, I hope this helps
    explain the puzzle.

    Best Regards,
    Walt Weber