Viewing UserForm code in Notepad

  1. #1
    Paul Martin
    Guest

    Viewing UserForm code in Notepad

    Hi all

    If I export a Form Module to my desktop and open it in Notepad, I can
    see how VBA writes the properties of the UserForm such as Height, Left,
    StartUpPosition, etc.

    Is there any way that I can (in Notepad) also view all the properties
    of all the controls on the UserForm?

    Thanks in advance

    Paul Martin
    Melbourne, Australia

  2. #2
    Alok
    Guest

    RE: Viewing UserForm code in Notepad

    Those are saved in the file with the .frx extension. This file is a binary
    file and hence cannot be viewed in notepad.

    Alok Joshi

  3. #3
    Paul Martin
    Guest

    Re: Viewing UserForm code in Notepad

    Addendum:

    My intent was to see if any invalid RowSource or ControlSource values
    had been set. My app has been crashing, and I suspect this may be the
    reason. My thinking is that it would be easier to see this in Notepad,
    than searching through the Properties Window.

  4. #4
    Michel Pierron
    Guest

    Re: Viewing UserForm code in Notepad

    Hi Paul,
    For the UserForm properties, you can try:

    Sub UserFormProperties()
    Dim vbProj As Object, F%, i%
    Set vbProj = ThisWorkbook.VBProject
    Set Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject = vbProj
    Application.Visible = 1
    Windows(ThisWorkbook.Name).Activate
    DoEvents
    F = FreeFile
    Open "c:\MyFile.txt" For Output As #F
    On Error Resume Next
    With ThisWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents("UserForm1")
    For i = 1 To .Properties.Count
    Print #F, .Properties(i).Name & vbTab & .Properties(i).Value
    Next i
    End With
    Close #F
    Set vbProj = Nothing
    Shell "c:\windows\notepad.exe c:\myfile.txt", 1
    End Sub

    MP

    [email protected]...

  5. #5
    Michel Pierron
    Guest

    Re: Viewing UserForm code in Notepad

    Re Paul,
    For all controls properties, if you have the possibility of adding the
    reference to TypeLibInformation (c:\windows\system32\tlbinf32.dll), adapt
    the following code to your need:

    Sub ControlsPropertiesList()
    If UserForm1.Controls.Count = 0 Then Exit Sub
    Cells.ClearContents
    Dim oInfo As InterfaceInfo
    Dim oMember As MemberInfo
    Dim sProp$, i&, sVal$, Ctl As Control
    For Each Ctl In UserForm1.Controls
    i = i + 1
    Set oInfo = InterfaceInfoFromObject(Ctl)
    For Each oMember In oInfo.Members
    On Error Resume Next
    If oMember.InvokeKind = 4 Then
    sProp = oMember.Name