Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

  1. #1
    DRK
    Guest

    Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

    The legal types are making me put in footnotes into my spreadsheets which
    exceed 255 characters. First one they sent down had 428 characters in it. So
    I can't put it in a cell or in a custom footer.

    Please note: I'm running the official version approved by the company -
    Excel 97.

    I was thinking I could somehow plant a text box to hold the text. The text
    will have variables in it. So I was going to use VBA to fill the box with the
    calculated text. But I'm having some diffculty with it as it is not on a form.

    Do I have any other options? Would a more recent or current version of Excel
    provide any solution?
    --
    DRK

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

    A cell can display at least 1024 characters and more if you hard code
    returns in the string. So a cell should be able to handle 428 characters.
    This includes xl97. In xl97, the limitation on a cell was increased to 32K
    characters - although only 1024 will display or print (unless you embed hard
    returns)

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DRK
    Guest

    Re: Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

    Thanks for the help. With your guidance I can put in more than the 255
    characters. But it does not seem to carry over to the .CenterFooter for
    example. Using the same code generated string, I can fill a cell with text
    but the .CenterFooter can't be fooled. I get a Run-time error '1004' with the
    message 'Unable to set the CenterFooter property of the PageSetup class'.

    So I may punt and hope the lawyers will allow me to add a separate footnote
    page after the column report.
    --
    DRK

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

    Sorry, I didn't say or mean to imply that the footers could hold more
    characters. I thought you were considering putting the information in a
    cell that would appear at the bottom of the printed page (all
    calculated/setup manually) as a workaround for the footer limitation.

  5. #5
    Don Kline
    Guest

    Re: Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

    Tom,

    Thanks for reminding me that I can print multiple ranges on each page. I'm
    trying to figure out why the second range appears on the next page rather
    than on the same page. I made to clean out any page breaks from the sheet.

    I specified the range in the macro as "$A$13:$G42,$A$120:$G$121"

    Don

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

    If I reminded you of that fact, that wasn't my intent either. You can't
    print multiple non contiguous ranges on the same page. Each area will go on
    a separate page. What you can do is hide rows/columns in between, then
    print one large range. another possibility is to copy the ranges and paste
    them as linked pictures to another page, then arrange the pictures to
    achieve your layout and print that page. There may be other clever
    workarounds as well based on the particulars of your problem which I am not
    privy to.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...