selfcert.exe

  1. #1
    Fred
    Guest

    selfcert.exe

    We use Excel VBA macros in many of our shared workbooks (numbering in the
    thousands). When users have macro security set to High, our macros do not
    run because they are not signed. This is a serious problem, especially with
    the users. While we have a utility to self certify our macros
    (SELFCERT.EXE), it does not help unless all users have us in a list of
    trusted sources. We need a way to create and maintain this list of trusted
    sources. Any thoughts? Can we do this without a rootCA or purchasing
    certificates from say...verisign?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: selfcert.exe

    Fred,

    I don't know the answer for certain, but just think how easy it would be for
    a virus to update your list of trusted sources without your knowledge and
    wreak all sorts of havoc on your spreadsheets, etc.
    I would think, therefore, that the answer is No.

    Henry

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Simon Murphy
    Guest

    RE: selfcert.exe

    Fred
    You should speak to your systems administrators as they could set this up in
    group policy - But I bet they wont!

    The whole point of security certificates is to authenticate the source of
    the code. A malicious user could easily run selfsert as you and forge a cert
    in your name. then issue bad code in your name - this would be a bad thing!

    You should get a proper cert from verisign or Thawte or whoever (200-400
    dollars - cheaper than a virus). One person/machine should have this
    installed then this becomes the security signing step in your release cycle.

    Self certs should only be used for testing, never for release.

    cheers
    Simon