Mutiple Instances of Excel - Which one will Windows use to open a file?

  1. #1
    Alan
    Guest

    Mutiple Instances of Excel - Which one will Windows use to open a file?

    Hi All,

    If I have multiple instances of excel open, is there any way to
    dictate which one will be used by Windows to open an excel workbook if
    the user double clicks on it in windows explorer?

    One of the instances will always have a modal userform open, so I need
    to avoid that instance being used.

    Thanks,

    Alan.

  2. #2

    Re: Mutiple Instances of Excel - Which one will Windows use to open a file?

    > ... is there any way to
    > dictate which one will be used by Windows to open an excel workbook if
    > the user double clicks on it in windows explorer?

    Not that I know of.

    > One of the instances will always have a modal userform open, so I need
    > to avoid that instance being used.

    Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True will prevent further files
    being opened in that instance.

    Regards,
    Vic Eldridge

  3. #3
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Mutiple Instances of Excel - Which one will Windows use to open a file?

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    >> ... is there any way to
    >> dictate which one will be used by Windows to open an excel workbook
    >> if the user double clicks on it in windows explorer?
    >>
    >> One of the instances will always have a modal userform open, so I
    >> need to avoid that instance being used.

    > Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True will prevent further files
    > being opened in that instance.

    Perfect!

    I wasn't even aware of that one.

    Thanks Vic - Much appreciated.