FileCopy Command Giving "Subscript Out of Range" Error Message

  1. #1
    Jim Hagan
    Guest

    FileCopy Command Giving "Subscript Out of Range" Error Message

    I am using the following statements to copy a file from one location to
    another and getting an error message "subscript out of range" on the FileCopy
    command. (Note: I used a bunch of debug.print statements to determine the
    offending line).

    Dim ofsFileSys As New FileSystemObject

    If ofsFileSys.FileExists(SourceFile) Then
    FileCopy SourceFile, DestinationFile ' Copy source to
    destination
    end if

    Both the Source and Destination files exist on the same network drive.

    The SourceFile is being created by a data acquisition system and is updated
    every few seconds. My macro is programmed to copy the latest SourceFile to
    the DestinationFile every 20 seconds or so and grab the latest data entry
    from the newly created DestinationFile.

    For the most part, the macro works fine. But every so often I get the
    "Subscript Out of Range" error message associated with the FileCopy command.
    I cannot go into the debugger and repeat the error, since it seems to occur
    randomly.

    I suspect the problem lies with copying the file and the same time it is
    being updated, but I don't know enough about how files are handled by
    Windows.

    Any ideas as to what may be causing the problem or suggestions of what to do
    about it would be appreciated.

    My operating system is Windows 2000.

    Thanks for your help,

    Jim

  2. #2
    Damon Longworth
    Guest

    RE: FileCopy Command Giving "Subscript Out of Range" Error Message

    Try adding an error handler. If your routine coincides with the file
    creation, wait a few seconds and try again or wait for the next 20 second
    interval.

    On Error Resume Next

  3. #3
    Jim Hagan
    Guest

    RE: FileCopy Command Giving "Subscript Out of Range" Error Message

    Thanks Damon,

    I did have an error handler in the subroutine, but it apparently didn't
    capture the error. Interestingly enough, the error handler from the calling
    routine is the one that reported the error. Which gets me thinking that
    perhaps the error handler in the subroutine has an error in it as well!!
    I'll check this out. Thanks for your help.

    Jim