multiple line two accumulators

  1. #1
    EED
    Guest

    multiple line two accumulators

    I'm able to get a two cell accumlator going but my problem is I have multiple
    lines that I need this for.

    Ex: A1(amt entered) F2(accum. total), which goes from A1 & F2 thru A500
    & F500

    These totals are for each line/part number for whats being shipped out, with
    keeping overal total for what has been shipped for that part.

    I've been looking at different codes but havent found the information needed
    to make this happen. Hopefully it can but please advise with any assistance.
    Thanks!!!!

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    If I understand correctly, you want the value in column F to indicate the
    accumulated total (running total) of the amounts in column A for a particular
    part number (which is in another, unspecified column? I will have to use that
    column, so I will arbitrarily make it column C). You could use a worksheet
    formula such as this in your F column - it is written for F2; could be copied
    down in column F to work for the rest of the range - but only if you follow
    the relative/absolute references carefully:
    F2 = SUMIF($C$1:$C2,$C2,$A$1$A2)

  3. #3
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    Let me rephrase....

    This is for incoming parts that we're dealing with. No duplicate part
    numbers either and its too keep track of total amt of parts shipped for THAT
    line. Which there could be up to 500 diff lines but needs only keep
    accumulative total per part/line.

    I can get an accumulator working for one line but I need this to work for
    all lines if need be. Ultimately the amt entered in E1 should accumulate to
    F1 - as E2/D2, E3/D3. Again this is only for each line/part number, not an
    overall total for certain parts or all parts. I hope this is more clear on
    what I need.

    the spreadsheet goes....
    A B C D
    E F
    Date - Part number - Job number - Quantity - Quantity Shipped - Total
    Shipped

    today
    1 XXX XXXX XXXX 5000 2000
    3000
    2 XXX XXXX XXXX 2500 1500

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    I still don't quite get it: Are you trying to calculate the amount in "Total
    Shipped" (column F), or something else? How are you defining "accumulated
    total?" - accumulated for what? If there is no duplication in parts why is
    the total not simply Quantity - Quantity shipped (e.g. F2=D2-E2)? How did
    you get 2000 as the total shipped in your second line? I am either
    misunderstanding the problem or the math.

  5. #5
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    The totals are showing accumulative....as with the 5000 qty, 1000 were
    shipped before along with the 2000 just shipped. giving a running total of
    3000. nothing wrong with your math, just my way showing the example.

  6. #6
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    OK, so getting back to that first line of the example - how did you know that
    1000 had been shipped before? That is still not clear. Basically, your
    formula in F needs to be able to know where this 1000 comes from and add E
    to it, but I can't give the formula yet because I need to know how you are
    figuring that amount that was "shipped before."

  7. #7
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    It was an example as though 1000 had already been shipped out....then adding
    2000 more to F, gave an accumulative total of 3000. With being simple, I
    just need the amts put in F will be added to the amt in H - for each
    indivudual line. F2 will be added to H2, F3 to H3, and so on.

  8. #8
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    Then the formula would be simple: =F2+H2

  9. #9
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    I'll try one more time and be simple with it...

    for each row...in keeping track of what has been shipped out.

    I need to enter the 'shipped amt' - then have it keep a running total in
    'total shipped' - for that specific line. I have multiple lines/diff part
    numbers. Each line has to keep a running total of total shipped for that
    part/row.

    If I only needed to keep a running total on one line, I can do that w/a
    normal accumulator code. But my problem is having this be performed for many
    lines....and again, each row/total has no affect on other totals. I need the
    running total for each line/part.

  10. #10
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    Here is the source of my confusion:
    "I need to enter the 'shipped amt' - then have it keep a running total in
    'total shipped' - for that specific line." And from an earlier post: "No
    duplicate part
    numbers either and its too keep track of total amt of parts shipped for THAT
    line. Which there could be up to 500 diff lines but needs only keep
    accumulative total per part/line."

    "If I only needed to keep a running total on one line, I can do that w/a
    normal accumulator code. But my problem is having this be performed for many
    lines...."

    I realize I have badly misinterpreted your question, and still am, but I am
    trying to get past the apparent inconsistency in the above. If the formula
    only acts on the same values for every line (F + H) in the range you gave
    (A1:F500) then do the formula as I stated and simply copy it from cell F2
    down through F500. But if you need to do a running total that does rely on
    the value from another line, or set of lines, I need that clarified to figure
    out how the running total is to be computed.

    I hope I am not appearing sarcastic - I do not mean to be and I am doing my
    best to help you. Communicating about spreadsheet structure via text
    messages can often be difficult and I am sure if I just was there as you
    explained and showed it to me I would get it.

  11. #11
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    Running totals will be for each individual line/per part number. These are
    all seperate/diff part numbers. So the accumulated total is for total
    shipped, in which you will input a daily shipped figure per part. Then that
    daily number will be added into the 'total shipped' - again, this is for each
    row/part number. I could do this easily if I wanted a circular reference but
    not w/the amt of lines I'm working with. I've setup a 2 cell accumulator but
    only can get it working for one line, not all the other lines that its needed
    on also.

    Hope this helps and thanks!

  12. #12
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    OK, I think I am starting to see and where my misconception was. I was
    envisioning a system where every separate order shipped, or whatever, was on
    a separate line and you had to develop a running total from this, or else
    that each line was a single entry that was entered once and not changed.
    But that apparently is not correct. I may still be missing a bit, so let's
    see if I understand: you are not adding anything from another line, but
    (using the existing line) you are entering a new "Quantity Shipped"
    (replacing the existing value in that cell) and you want to take that number
    and add it to whatever was the existing total from that line? And yes, that
    would be a circular reference if you handled it "normally" through any
    standard Excel function.

    I have a thought on how to handle that scenario, if I have it correct, but
    am just finishing up my lunch break here and need to get back to work! If
    you read this in the meantime, perhaps you can verify if I have the right
    concept now of what you need to do - and also, if you could let me know what
    your VBA/macro experience level is it would help me know how detailed to make
    the instructions!

  13. #13
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    No, I'm not adding anything from other lines. Each line will be different
    but need to keep a running total for each row/parts shipped. I'd prefer to
    enter in the 'shipped amt for the day' and that amt be added into 'total
    shipped' automatically. Each are individual lines, no other lines affect
    each other. What I enter in for amt shipped on row 1 has nothing to do with
    the amt shipped on row 2-500. Each row has a diff part and qty...but need to
    keep a running total for each row/part #.

    Hope this clears the fog and thanks again!

  14. #14
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    If you need the value in column H to keep a running total every time you
    enter a new value in column F of the same row (or you could adjust the method
    for any 2 cells):

    First you need to detect when anything in column F is changed, and some way
    of knowing the row. The Worksheet_Change Event Procedure can be used to
    detect when there has been a change to any value on the worksheet, so that is
    the logical way to do this: put the code in there to do the rest. If you do
    not know how to use Event Procedures, I would suggest you ask that in a new
    post on this group. I could tell you but it would take more time than I have
    now, so perhaps you would get a faster answer through a new inquiry on that.

    Now, the code would do the rest, and here is how I would approach it. I
    have written it to work even if you copy and paste multiple values at once
    into column F (in which case each of those rows need to be updated):

    Dim FRange As Range, ChangedCell As Range
    ' Find out if Target includes any cells in F:
    Set FRange = Intersect(Target, Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F:F"))
    ' Note: Replace the actual name of the sheet you want checked instead of
    "SheetName" in the above
    If Not (FRange Is Nothing) Then
    ' Loop through all the cells in F Range, since these were changed:
    For Each ChangedCell In FRange
    ' Update the value in H (offset 2 columns right) by adding what is in F:
    ChangedCell.Offset(0, 2).Value = ChangedCell.Offset(0, 2).Value +
    ChangedCell.Value
    Next ChangedCell

    One more thing: You may well have considered this but feel I ought to
    mention one weakness of this way of keeping accumulated totals. There is no
    way to trace it back - in other words, you can never tell what went into the
    total other than the very last value you entered, since all the other values
    have been overwritten and are now gone. That may not matter to you, and if
    so there is no problem, but felt I ought to point it out since for some
    applications it can cause real problems. The usual solution (and one reason
    for my confusion earlier!) is to retain prior entries and use a new row for
    any new ones, so you have a running list that can keep the running total (but
    retaining all prior orders in other rows), with a summary that lists the
    current totals for each part (if desired) listed on a separate sheet.

    After all the misunderstanding, I hope I finally can be of some help to you!

    --
    - K Dales

  15. #15
    EED
    Guest

    RE: multiple line two accumulators

    That is exactly what I needed and worked. Thanks for keeping up with me on
    this!