Keeping Prying eyes out

  1. #1
    Keith
    Guest

    Keeping Prying eyes out

    Hi,

    I have a spreadsheet that, when opened it checks who the user is then
    hides specific rows based on the user. Unfortunately I have two problems

    1. If they Select Disable Macros then they can see the whole
    spreadsheet. How can I make it so that if they disable then the
    spreadsheet just closes?

    2. Once the routine has run and the rows are all hidden how do I stop
    users just dragging the rows back out, or selecting an group then
    selecting unhide?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Keith

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Keeping Prying eyes out

    1. The standard approach is to have a separate sheet that has a message on
    it saying that macros need to be enabled. Hide all sheets except this one,
    and create a workbook_open piece of code that does your biz and hides this
    warning sheet. If they disable macros, all they will see is the warning.

    2.You could disable the menu items.

    application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu
    Bar").Controls("Format").controls("Row").Controls("Unhide").enabled=false

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Keeping Prying eyes out

    or, if you have the files on a server, you can use a gpo to disable items. i
    disable macros and protection this way for certain users and let managers
    see these options so they can run the macros.

    --

    Gary

  4. #4
    Keith
    Guest

    Re: Keeping Prying eyes out

    Keith wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a spreadsheet that, when opened it checks who the user is then
    > hides specific rows based on the user. Unfortunately I have two problems
    >
    > 1. If they Select Disable Macros then they can see the whole
    > spreadsheet. How can I make it so that if they disable then the
    > spreadsheet just closes?
    >
    > 2. Once the routine has run and the rows are all hidden how do I stop
    > users just dragging the rows back out, or selecting an group then
    > selecting unhide?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Keith

    The method posted by Bob works fine for the first part, but the second
    part doesn't work. after Controls("Format"). It doesn't like Controls
    again.

  5. #5

    Re: Keeping Prying eyes out

    If this data is really sensitive, then don't put it into your excel file.

    Worksheet protection is easily broken.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Keeping Prying eyes out

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Keith wrote:
    >
    > The method posted by Bob works fine for the first part, but the second
    > part doesn't work. after Controls("Format"). It doesn't like Controls
    > again.

    It worked fine for me Keith ?

    Bob