Creating Excel Addin

  1. #1

    Creating Excel Addin

    Hi there,
    I am working with excel 2k and xp, I created a workbook that has all the macros that I use and I am trying to create it as an Addin.

    I saved the workbook with a .xla under c:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\addins but still it doesn't work as an addin...

    I go to tools --> addins --> then browse to the location of the file and I added and make sure it is checked but when I open excel and go to macros, i don't see any of the macros....even with the addin checked.

    i would like to be able to click on the .xla workbook and it add itself to excel or at least when I add it by goint to tools --> addins and check it, it would be available throughout excel everytime I open it...

    I know that I could save the workbook in XLstart to be available everytime I open excel but I don't like this feature plus I would like to be able to pass on the xla file to other people to install on their machine.....

    I checked microsoft website for creating an excel addin and I followed the steps but it still doesn't work.....

    any help please is highly appreciated....

    you can also email me at [email protected]

    thanks a lot

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Creating Excel Addin

    What are the names of your macros? Can't be private...
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    "salooha" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating Excel Addin

    Make sure that

    - they are nor Private subs (Private Sub myMacro())
    - the code module in the add-in doesn't have Option Private Module at the
    start
    - the subs and/or functions do not have arguments

    RP

  4. #4

    Re: Creating Excel Addin

    If you saved your workbook as an addin, the macros won't be visible via the
    Tools|Macro|macros dialog.

    You have to give the user a way to get to them.

    I use a variation of John Walkenbach's menumaker:
    to add items to the worksheet menubar.

    If I want to add a toolbar of my own, here's how I do it:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...5B41%40msn.com

  5. #5

    Thanks for your reply

    Thank you for your help....let's say I have the code below to open a notepad from excel....and I would like to have this available throughout excel as an addin that can be installed on any machine that has excel....the code below is not private as far as I know.....and I have no functions involved...

    can I create an addin that could be available whenever I open excel and could be transfered on other machines as well?? I hope I clarified my question this time a little.....

    thanks again for your help....

    salah

  6. #6

    Re: Creating Excel Addin

    Take a look at John Walkenbach's menumaker workbook.

    You'll see how he does it.

  7. #7

    Thanks a Lot

    Thanks Dave..