Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Accessing Windows clipboard during runtime

  1. #1
    Conan Kelly
    Guest

    Accessing Windows clipboard during runtime

    Is it possible to access the Clipboard with code during runtime? I would like to clear the clipboard and then paste contents to it.

    Here is a sample of my code:

    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=strPath & strFileName, FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
    ActiveWorkbook.Close False
    ' Clipboard.Clear
    ' Clipboard.SetText Format(intDate, "Short Date")
    MsgBox "Number of records:" & vbTab & FormatNumber(intLastRow - 1, 0, vbFalse, vbFalse, vbTrue) & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & vbTab & " Date:" & vbTab & Format(intDate, "m-d-yyyy") & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & " File Name:" & vbTab & strFileName, vbOKOnly, "Stats"
    End Sub

    The Clipboard commands are commented out because whenever I run this, Excel crashes, has to close down, asks to send an error report to MS, and I lose any unsaved data.

    I got these commands from a project I was working on in my Programming Fundamentals class. When I looked these commands up in VB6's Object Browser, it said that the command was from the VB Library. I went to References to see what it was using (and their paths). The 2 I thought it could be were "VB Objects & Procedures" and "VB Runtime Objects & Procedures". I tried selecting these references in VBA by browsing to their path. The path for VB O & P was fine and was able to use it okay. But the path for VB Runtime O & P was "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvbvm60.dll\3". First, how do I refer to "\3" of a .dll file. Second, when I tried refering to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvbvm60.dll" it gave me an error saying "Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library".

    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,

    Conan Kelly

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Accessing Windows clipboard during runtime

    I'm not familiar with the technique you're using. Usually Excel developers
    just use a DataObject to put something in the clipboard:

    Sub a()
    Dim MyData As DataObject
    Set MyData = New DataObject
    MyData.SetText Format(Now, "Short Date")
    MyData.PutInClipboard

    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Conan Kelly
    Guest

    Re: Accessing Windows clipboard during runtime

    Jim,

    Thanks for your help. That worked for what I need to do.

    Thanks again,

    Conan

    "Jim Rech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm not familiar with the technique you're using. Usually Excel
    > developers
    > just use a DataObject to put something in the clipboard:
    >
    > Sub a()
    > Dim MyData As DataObject
    > Set MyData = New DataObject
    > MyData.SetText Format(Now, "Short Date")
    > MyData.PutInClipboard

    > Jim

Closed Thread