Replace application.RTD property by Application.RTDServers collect

  1. #1
    John.Greenan
    Guest

    Replace application.RTD property by Application.RTDServers collect

    As a firm one business area is design and build of spreadsheets for
    investment banks and other financial services firms. Often we use third
    party vendor implementations of RTD servers (for example - Bloomberg and
    Reuters). Sometimes we find that a requirement exists to stop updating the
    data from RTD. This can be accomplished by setting the
    Application.RTD.ThrottleInterval to a value of -1 (minus one). That's fine,
    but sometimes we want a more granular level of control - we want to be able
    to set the RTD.ThrottleInterval to -1 for one specific RTD, rather than
    globally.

    As an example, we have a spreadsheet that pulls in Bloomberg data (for
    Bonds) and Reuters data (for equities). We want to be able to stop updating
    from Bloomberg, but continue updating from Reuters.

    The suggestion is that there should be a change to the object model -
    something like this

    Application.RTDServers

    RTDServers - a new collection

    Application.RTDServers(varServerName) - would bring up one specific member
    of the collection. The individual members would each have the properties

    Application.RTDServers("myservername").RestartServer

    (note - RestartServer not RestartServers)

    Application.RTDServers("myservername").ThrottleInterval

    Application.RTDServers("myservername").RefreshData

    This would provide more granularity and allow for increased uptake of the
    RTD functionality.

    I'm more than happy to discuss this further.

    --
    www.alignment-systems.com

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming

  2. #2
    Jens Thiel
    Guest

    Re: Replace application.RTD property by Application.RTDServers collect

    Hello John,

    we already have such an infrastructure in place that we can extend to
    support per-server pause/resume/restart functionality. See

    http://www.stochastix.de/solutions/e...ual/s.rtd.html

    for details.

    Best regards,
    Jens.

    --
    http://ManagedXLL.net/ | http://www.stochastix.de/
    Replace MSDN with my first name when replying to my email address!

    news:[email protected]...