No Macros but Macro enabling message

  1. #1
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hi,

    I have a workbook which doesnt have any Modules folder (also NO macros) and
    neither is there any code in individual worksheets/workbook (Only option
    explicit is mentioned in each one of them). It also doesnt seem to have any
    of the Xl 4 macro worksheets.

    Some of the worksheets does have the control tool-box buttons.

    When I open this worksheet, I get a message similar to " Do you want to
    enable macros in this worksheet or not? etc...

    Why am I getting the above message, as I dont have any code?

    (I got this workbook from Web)

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hari

    In my experience you will only get this message if you have some code
    somewhere and it can hide in many places

    If you'd like to forward me the book I'll take a look

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Option Explicit is enough to trigger macor warnings!

    DM Unseen

  4. #4
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hi Nick,

    Didnt want to cause trouble for mail scanning the attachment from your and
    my side, hence sending you the web-link.

    The workbook - 96.5 KB- I talked about could be downloaded from (Probably
    an UK university) -

    http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/research/discus/samp.xls

    Please guide me.

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hi DM,

    I create a new-workbook with Ctrl+N and then check out the VBE and see that
    Option Explicit is added by VBE automatically (I have the option for it
    checked in my VB, so I believe new wkbooks have this line added auto.)

    I saved the above wkbok with no changes and reopened the same in a new excel
    session. I did NOT get any Macro warnings, so not sure whether Option
    explicit is enough to trigger messages.

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hari,

    Sorry for the confusion,
    Option Explicit only triggers a warning when it is in a code/class
    module. It will not trigger a warning when it is in a sheet or
    workbook.

    DM Unseen

  7. #7
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hi DM,

    If ur talking about the "code" , then even if a single comment (and nothing
    else) is there in any module then it would trigger a message.

  8. #8
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    There is a hidden sheet named "Sampling Macros" that has just that. The book
    is an Excel 4.0 with a macro sheet and those macros cannot be disabled, that
    I am aware of.

    Mike F

  9. #9
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hari

    As has been pointed out this has a hidden XLM (V4) macro sheet which is
    triggering the warning. If you do not need the functionality it gives you,
    you can go to Format>Sheet>Unhide...SAMPLING MACRO and delete the sheet in
    the usual way. This then gets rid of the pop-up

  10. #10
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: No Macros but Macro enabling message

    Hi Mike and Nick,

    Thnx for your help.

    Too foolish of me to not even check for hidden sheets.

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

    news:[email protected]...