not sure what functions/code to use?

  1. #1
    s&d
    Guest

    not sure what functions/code to use?

    I was wondering if someone can gear me in the right direction with this.

    I created a data-only worksheet with 2 columns as per below with all the
    data: I called the worksheet "User Names"

    in column A in column B

    1 j. doe
    2 k. anderson
    3 l. wilson
    4 m. robinson
    5 n. woods

    In a separate blank worksheet with the following headings, I would like to
    retrieve the data from the "User Names" worksheet.

    User Number User Name

    For example: If I typed in the number "3" under "User Number" column, I
    would like it to lookup the number "3" in the "User Names" worksheet and
    retrieve the name "l. wilson" and insert it in the cell under "User Name".

    Any information would be greatly appreciated, the whole purpose of this is
    to save time from writing out the User names all the time.

    Thanks,
    Sherry.

  2. #2

    Re: not sure what functions/code to use?

    You could use =vlookup()
    Visit Debra Dalgleish's site:
    for nice instructions.

    But maybe it would be easier using Data|Validation--then you could see the name
    you're choosing.

    Also from Debra's site:

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: not sure what functions/code to use?

    =VLOOKUP(A2,'User Names'!A1:B20,2,False)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: not sure what functions/code to use?

    Providing that Column A contains unique values then I would recommend a
    Vlookup Function. You can find it in the help.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: not sure what functions/code to use?

    You don't really need code for this.

    Sounds like VLOOKUP could do the trick.

    For more on that Function see Debra Dalgleish's site.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

    Also see Debra's site for info on Data Validation lists with drop-down box for
    entering the code numbers.

    Might be useful.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was wondering if someone can gear me in the right direction with this.
    >
    >I created a data-only worksheet with 2 columns as per below with all the
    >data: I called the worksheet "User Names"
    >
    >in column A in column B
    >
    >1 j. doe
    >2 k. anderson
    >3 l. wilson
    >4 m. robinson
    >5 n. woods
    >
    >In a separate blank worksheet with the following headings, I would like to
    >retrieve the data from the "User Names" worksheet.
    >
    >User Number User Name
    >
    >For example: If I typed in the number "3" under "User Number" column, I
    >would like it to lookup the number "3" in the "User Names" worksheet and
    >retrieve the name "l. wilson" and insert it in the cell under "User Name".

    Use the VLOOKUP formula.

    Give a range name to the data in the User Names worksheet, say
    "NameData"

    Then in your seperate blank worksheet, assuming the "User Number"
    heading is in A1 and "User Name" heading in B1, type the following in
    B2.

    =VLOOKUP(A2,NameData,2,False).

    Then enter your number in A2

    HTH

    Regards

    >Any information would be greatly appreciated, the whole purpose of this is
    >to save time from writing out the User names all the time.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Sherry.

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

  7. #7
    s&d
    Guest

    Re: not sure what functions/code to use?

    Thank you so very much everyone, it works!!!