Help (cesar code)

  1. #1

    Help (cesar code)

    Hello

    I am having a little problem, i know what i want to do with excel but i dont no where to start, i dont no what formula to use, what i am after is a spreadsheet to encrypt and decrpt 'cesar code'.

    cesar code - e.g IBM becomes HAL, it take the letter before the letter and replaces it, i hope you undertsand that, like H is 1 letter before I and A is before B etc.

    how could i do this with Excel?

    Thanks very much

    oS_Narley

  2. #2
    Jef Gorbach
    Guest

    Re: Help (cesar code)

    You're looping a Find/ReplaceAll 26x so record a new macro while Replacing
    all occurances of "I" with "H" in a sample word then stop recording and edit
    the results for the balance of changes.
    Macros can NOT be undone so run it on a *copy* of your source message.

    ie, in excel:
    Sub Macro1()
    With Cells
    .Replace what:="A", Replacement:="Z", Lookat:=xlPart
    .Replace what:="B", Replacement:="A", Lookat:=xlPart
    .Replace what:="C", Replacement:="B", Lookat:=xlPart
    End With
    End Sub

    "oS_Narley" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Help (cesar code)

    Hi,

    Pass each character in your string to this function - will always return
    upper case

    Function cesar(strA)
    strA = UCase(strA)
    If strA = "A" Then cesar = "Z" Else cesar = Chr(Asc(strA) - 1)
    End Function

    Sub test()
    MsgBox cesar("Z")

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help (cesar code)

    Here are a couple of functions that will encrypt and encrypt a whole word
    that you can use

    Function Encrypt(text As String)
    Dim i As Long
    Dim sTemp As String

    For i = 1 To Len(text)
    sTemp = sTemp & Chr(Asc(Mid(text, i, 1)) - 1)
    Next i

    Encrypt = sTemp
    End Function

    Function Decrypt(text As String)
    Dim i As Long
    Dim sTemp As String

    For i = 1 To Len(text)
    sTemp = sTemp & Chr(Asc(Mid(text, i, 1)) + 1)
    Next i

    Decrypt = sTemp
    End Function

    RP

  5. #5
    I cant seem to get that to wrok, please could you make it so i could view it?

    Thank you much appreciated

    oS_Narley