Calculating Non-Constant Values in Cells

  1. #1

    Exclamation Calculating Non-Constant Values in Cells

    After importing a file from Access to Excel, and formatting the spreadsheet, I need to calculate a sum. The problem is that the cell references do not remain the same. The amount of rows to add depend on the information being imported.

    In the Macro, I have accessed the correct cell for the calculation by the "EndDown" feature. I then press the sum key on the toolbar, but it keeps the same count of rows to sum, which I mentioned differs. Is there a way to sum the rows with variance each time? Below is what I have coded for one column.

    (The cell "O11" is always the beginning cell for the calculation.)
    Range("O11").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-7]C:R[-1]C)"

    I appreciate any help available!!
    Shelley

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Calculating Non-Constant Values in Cells

    Hi,
    I am sure there is a more elegant solution but the following works!

    Sub sumvar(rng)

    Dim v As Variant
    Dim sr As Long, fr As Long

    rng.Select
    sr = Selection.Row ' Start row
    v = Split(rng.Address(columnAbsolute:=False), "$") ' Column letter
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select ' Last row of data to be summed
    fr = Selection.Row ' finish row
    ' SUM in next row .....
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Formula = "=SUM(" & v(0) & sr & ":" & v(0) & fr & ")"
    End Sub

    Sub test()
    Call sumvar(Range("AB1"))

  3. #3
    HTH,

    I tried that, but it didn't work for me. Is there part of the code I should be changing? It's throwing an error out at the Sum calculation and placing the active cell as the very last cell available for the entire spreadsheet. Help?!

    Sincerely,
    Shelley

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Non-Constant Values in Cells

    Hi,
    My testing ( for example) I had data in rows 11 to 17, and SUM was
    in row 18. Another test I had data in rows 1 to 10, and SUM was in 11.
    Repeated running of the macro calculated SUM in the next row down i.e. 11, 12
    ,13.

    I assumed the data was contiguous and I cannot see why it goes to the end
    cell. No manual intervention is required to select the SUM cell - the macro
    does it for you..

    If there are blanks in the data, the SUM will be in the first blank cell it
    meets. You could change this by using:

    fr = Cells(Rows.Count, v(0)).End(xlUp).Row
    Cells(fr, v(0)).Select

    Try this.

    HTH

  5. #5
    THT,

    You have been such a blessing! All I needed to do was change the range that was first selected. (I should've known that!) It works perfectly and my project is now completed.

    THANKS AGAIN!
    Shelley

  6. #6
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Non-Constant Values in Cells

    Glad to have been of service and that is all fixed.