Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet application

  1. #1
    Zakynthos
    Guest

    Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet application

    I would like to copy cells (one at a time) from Excel to a resource
    management program that is password protected on my company intranet. It is
    not possible to paste columns in one go, so it must be done on a copy
    cell/paste to cell repeat basis.

    I've tried running the following code which I've seen from reading another
    question but it errors at the Get application point.

    Given the protection on the destination program, can this be done and if so,
    how?

    The code I tried unsuccessfully was:

    CombineFiles()
    Range("A1").Select
    MyBook = ActiveWorkbook.Name
    MyTargetCell = ActiveCell.Address
    MySource = Application.GetOpenFilename
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=MySource
    Range("A1").Select
    Set myRange = Range(Selection, ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell))
    '<-Solution : Take out the select here because you are setting the myRange
    with this line
    myRange.Copy
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False '<-- This will save you from having Excel
    notify you that you placed a large amount of info on the clipboard before
    closing the source file
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Workbooks(MyBook).Activate
    Range(MyTargetCell).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    ActiveWorkbook.Save 'SaveAs MySource <-- this is saving the Activeworkbook
    as the Source workbook (I don't think that is what you want to do?)

    Many thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet application

    You don't show any Get application line of code. Your code appears to be
    pasting from one workbook to another workbook. I don't see any interaction
    with another program.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Zakynthos
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet applica

    Thanks for letting me know.

    So how, and at what point, would I:

    (a) write in the Get Application code

    (b) override the need to enter a password as the macro will obviously stop
    running at this point.

    Any specific advice would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet applica

    Can you log in to the intranet application first, before running the
    copy/paste?

    A few more details might be useful. You don't mention what type of
    application you're trying to interact with: I has assumed from
    "intranet" that it was web-based, but your code sample points towards
    an Excel-based app.

    Tim.

  5. #5
    Zakynthos
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet applica

    I think I mistakenly wrote 'intranet' when I really meant 'network-based'.
    The software is a resource management program called Vantage Point, which is
    password protected.

    The code sample I used was from a question about pasting from one excel
    workbook to another application (I think MS Access) which was password
    protected, so I thought this might be a good starting point.

    However, as the Vantage Point software does not permit block pasting of
    cells, I would need to run a macro which would:

    1. Copy a single cell from data in Excel
    2. Launch the Vantage Point password-protected resource management program.
    3. Paste the data from Excel into a single cell in the VP spreadsheet
    4. Return to Excel, copy the next cell ........ and so on

    I have tried inserting Vantage Point as an Object within Excel and creating
    2 macros:

    1. To copy a data cell from Excel and open the Vantage Point application
    2 To enter a password in the login window of Vantage Poiint
    3. Then run the first macro to include running the second macro.

    This doesn't work! it opens multiple logon windows, at least 20, eventually
    the password is auto entered and then the computer crashes!!!!

    Any suggestions for a Visual Basic script that will do the job?

    Many thanks for your help!

    Tony

  6. #6
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet applica

    So the VP application is Excel-based? Does it support automation
    (createobject, etc)?
    Can you post a URL to the vendor's website?
    Are the values you're trying to paste in all going into the same screen in
    VP, or does each value get pasted to a different screen?
    Have you tried logging in first and then running the Macro?

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

  7. #7
    Zakynthos
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet applica

    I assume that Vantage Point is 'Excel-based', as it contains spreadsheets
    I don't know whether it supports automation - certainlly, I can insert a VP
    icon into an Excel spreadsheet and logon from there.
    I have tried logging on first and attempting to create a macro, by:

    1. Inserting VP as object in the Excel ss.
    2.Creating a macro to open VP from this object and enter password
    3. Switch to VP ss window .....
    4. Paste in data into appropriate cell
    5. Repeat with next value

    On running the macro it stops at the VP logon screen and asks for password

    I have also tried opening VP first and creating a similar macro in Excel to
    copy/paste between the 2 windows but on running it it only copies the Excel
    cell(s)

    This is the code generated:

    Application.Goto Reference:="R1C4"
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.Copy

    The application is installed on the company network not the intranet so I
    cannot post a URL to the vendor's website.

    Yes, the values I'm trying to paste in all go into the same screen, but only
    one cell at a time in the VP ss, i.e copy one Excel cell, paste one cell in
    VP.

    Regards,

    Tony

  8. #8
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Copy/paste from Excel to a password protected intranet applica

    Tony,

    If you look at the WindowsTask Manager while the VP app is running what do
    you see - does it show up as Excel or as a different app ?

    By logging in first I meant your second approach - ie. log in manually then
    run the macro to copy the data. Since logging in is something you only do
    once then skipping automation of this step is going to make everything
    simpler.

    Since this thread is getting a bit drawn-out now, feel free to follow up via
    e-mail - you can reach me at timjwilliams using the domain gmail.com

    Tim.

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA