Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

  1. #1
    Bliksem
    Guest

    Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    Hi all

    I must develop custom Excel add-ins for clients. These need to be secure and
    speed of execution is often a requirement. VBA is thus not always an option
    to use. I want to create XLL files but I read somewhere this is not really
    the way forward.

    So, what development platform should I use to develop Excel add-ins?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    Create COM add-ins using Visual Basic.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../comaddins.asp
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    If you have the Developer's Edition of Excel, or Visual Basic 6,
    you can write a COM Add-In, which is essentially a DLL file. If
    you are using Excel 2003 and have Visual Studio 2003, you can
    write a VSTO (Visual Studio For Office) project linked to your
    workbook.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  4. #4
    Bliksem
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    Thank you

  5. #5
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    COM addins are not always faster that VBA addins, especially resolving
    references to excel object(like ranges) can actually be *slower*. Do
    not expect to see much improvement there. internal processing could be
    faster though

    That said COM Addins are far more secure.

    XLL addins are only useful for creating custom *worksheet* functions
    that need to be compatible with Excel 2000 and earlier(2002 and later
    can have COM Addin worksheet functions). XLL worksheet functions *are*
    fast however. Creating XLL's is an art in itself since they are basicly
    modified DLL libraries usually written in C/C++.

    DM Unseen

  6. #6
    Bliksem
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    Thanks for the answer. So, if I understand you correctly, if I want to
    develop worksheet functions and speed is an issue, I should create XLLs, even
    for Excel 2002/2003?

    However, if speed is not an issue, COM add-ins are better?

  7. #7
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    >Thanks for the answer. So, if I understand you correctly, if I want to
    >develop worksheet functions and speed is an issue, I should create XLLs, even
    >for Excel 2002/2003?

    yes( although maybe asking someone to develop them for you would be a
    better option, this knowledge is rapidly fading from the XL community

    >However, if speed is not an issue, COM add-ins are better?

    Yes

    Dm unseen

  8. #8
    Bliksem
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    OK. So, if developing XLLs are fading from the radar screen, and speed is an
    issue, what development platform should one use to create worksheet function
    add-ins?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    If XLL is no option, COM will do, as will VBA for that matter.

    I would suggest start prototyping with VBA and look how fast it is. COM
    will not do a lot better unless some internal calculations can be
    optimized. This depends on the type of calcuation. VBA can be protected
    from endusers, just not from XL pro's.
    To prevent code misuse you can scramble your VBA code, this will really
    deter code stealers! Porting from VBA to VB COM addins is not that
    difficult, so you can always do this when it is required.

    DM Unseen

  10. #10
    Robert Kline
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    On a slightly related topic, I'm new to .NET and want to expose some C++
    classes for use within VBA in Excel. What is the best way to accomplish this
    (COM, for example)?

  11. #11
    DM Unseen
    Guest

    Re: Developing custom secure Excel add-ins

    if you have pure C++ classes you need to create a Type library that
    exposes your C++ library as a COM/Automation library.

    ..NET classes can be used within VB(A) by generating a COM wrapper for
    them. This can be generated withen VS.NET.

    DM Unseen