message without stopping execution?

  1. #1
    Stefi
    Guest

    message without stopping execution?

    Hi All,
    Is there any method to display a message during a lengthy process to inform
    the user on progress of the process without stopping execution as MsgBox
    always does?
    Stefi

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    what about something like:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Progress.htm

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    the LED class j back link on page is pretty funky in a geeky type of way.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    and as a bonus you wont need to register any dlls

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Is the problem that you don't want the code interrupted, or that you want
    the MsgBox timed, and not depend upon a user responding. If the latter, use

    Dim cTime As Long
    Dim WSH As Object

    Set WSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    cTime = 10 ' 10 secs
    Select Case WSH.Popup("Open an Excel file?!", cTime, "Question", _
    vbOKCancel)
    Case vbOK
    MsgBox "You clicked OK"
    Case vbCancel
    MsgBox "You clicked Cancel"
    Case -1
    MsgBox "Timed out"
    Case Else
    End Select

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Chris Ferguson
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Would it be feasable to show the progess on a new sheet and periodically
    switch back on the screen updating so that the user can see how the process
    is updating.
    Or can you use the Application.statusbar = "Message" to keep the user
    informed?

    Chris

  7. #7
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    The latter was the case, and you gave me a good solution, thank you!
    Nevertheless, Chris's suggestion Application.statusbar = "Message" is
    simpler and sufficient in my case.
    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Bob Phillips” ezt *rta:

  8. #8
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Dear Matt,

    I just now reviewed the topics I was interested in. I hope you come back to
    this topic, although quite a long time elapsed since your reply to my
    question above (sending e-mail directly to your address failed).
    I have found earlier http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Progress.htm page, I made
    a test, and I found it not too convenient to use, but I missed the reference
    to the "LED" type progress bar you attracted my attention to.
    I just now downloaded and tested it (very nice), but I have to ask your help
    to clearly understand your messages. You must forgive me for disturbing you
    with such things, but my mother tongue is not English (in fact it's
    Hungarian), and I don't know the meaning of words "funky" and "geeky", would
    you give me some explanation or synonims (I didn't found these words even in
    the largest English-Hungarian dictionary). Also I couldn't find out the
    meaning of "class j" back link.

    Regards,
    Stefi

    "MattShoreson” ezt *rta:

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    geeky - generally refers to someone who is not very athletic and is very
    good with technical things such as computers. Bill Gates might be
    considered geeky

    funky - refers to something or someone that is popular because that
    something or someone exhibits behavior or appearance that enjoys popular
    acclaim. This is often associated with music and musicians. The term is
    somewhat dated.

    In the context:
    "the LED class j back link on page is pretty funky in a geeky type of way."

    Matt means the use of the LED is pretty impressive if you are impressed by
    techical approaches/implementation.

    Tom Ogilvy

  10. #10
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Thanks, Tom, I never thought that I can get such precise answers to
    linguistic questions via an Excel forum!
    However! I tested the LED type Progressbar demo, and it worked well, but
    when I tried to transplant it into my own code, it did nothing. I got no
    error messages, the code run smoothly, but nothing appeared in the status
    bar. I copied the class module into my workbook, applied the
    Set sb = New clsProgressBar ' create a new progress bar
    sb.Show "Please wait", vbNullString, 0 ' display the progress bar
    for
    sb.PercentComplete = i ' update the progress bar
    next
    Set sb = Nothing ' remove the progress bar

    lines in my code, what can be wrong?

    Do you get a warning if a new message comes to an old topic?

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Tom Ogilvy” ezt *rta:

  11. #11
    Forum Contributor

    funky

    Tom,

    'Funky' was used in more of a retro sense (I dont feel it is dated.)
    I could of used 'book' - but much preferred funky in this instance.

    NB: it also means smelly.

    Cheers,
    Matt.

  12. #12
    Forum Contributor
    Stefi,

    I have transplanted the progress bar cls, the simple progress bar and the wait seconds procedure to a new workbook.

    It works fine. I would suggest that maybe something is conflicting with the display status bar.

    Is it possible to post some of the code?

  13. #13
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Here is a simpler implementation posted by Michael Pierron

    Posted by Michael Pierron (May 28, 2004)
    Microsoft.public.excel.programming

    Private Declare Function FindWindow& Lib "user32" Alias _
    "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName$, ByVal lpWindowName$)
    Private Declare Function CreateWindowEX& Lib "user32" Alias _
    "CreateWindowExA" (ByVal dwExStyle&, ByVal lpClassName$ _
    , ByVal lpWindowName$, ByVal dwStyle&, ByVal x&, ByVal y& _
    , ByVal nWidth&, ByVal nHeight&, ByVal hWndParent& _
    , ByVal hMenu&, ByVal hInstance&, lpParam As Any)
    Private Declare Function DestroyWindow& Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd&)
    Private Declare Function SendMessage& Lib "user32" Alias _
    "SendMessageA" (ByVal hWnd&, ByVal wMsg&, ByVal wParam&, lParam As Any)
    Private Declare Function GetClientRect& Lib "user32" _
    (ByVal hWnd&, lpRect As RECT)
    Private Declare Function FindWindowEx& Lib "user32" Alias _
    "FindWindowExA" (ByVal hWnd1&, ByVal hWnd2&, ByVal lpsz1$, ByVal lpsz2$)

    Private Type RECT
    cl As Long
    ct As Long
    cr As Long
    cb As Long
    End Type

    Sub PBarDraw()
    Dim BarState As Boolean
    Dim hWnd&, pbhWnd&, y&, h&, i&, R As RECT
    hWnd = FindWindow(vbNullString, Application.Caption)
    hWnd = FindWindowEx(hWnd, ByVal 0&, "EXCEL4", vbNullString)
    GetClientRect hWnd, R
    h = (R.cb - R.ct) - 6: y = R.ct + 3
    pbhWnd = CreateWindowEX(0, "msctls_progress32", "" _
    , &H50000000, 35, y, 185, h, hWnd, 0&, 0&, 0&)
    SendMessage pbhWnd, &H409, 0, ByVal RGB(0, 0, 125)
    BarState = Application.DisplayStatusBar
    Application.DisplayStatusBar = True
    For i = 1 To 50000
    DoEvents
    Application.StatusBar = Format(i / 50000, "0%")
    SendMessage pbhWnd, &H402, Val(Application.StatusBar), 0
    Next i
    DestroyWindow pbhWnd
    Application.StatusBar = False
    Application.DisplayStatusBar = BarState

    Tom Ogilvy

  14. #14
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Dear Matt,
    I also tried the method in a new workbook and it worked. Obviously there is
    something in my code conflicting with the display of the status bar, but I
    couldn't find out what's that. Of course I would post the code, but its too
    large to paste it here, in fact it consists of a workbook containing the
    macros and some other workbooks to be processed that are required to run the
    macros. Tell me, please, where and what to send you! I tried to send you an
    e-mail to the address found in your profile
    ([email protected]) but it was
    rejected.

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „MattShoreson” ezt *rta:

  15. #15
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Hi Matt,
    I also tried the method in a new workbook and it worked. My code is too long
    to copy it here, please tell me where to send it! I tried to send you an

  16. #16
    Forum Contributor

  17. #17
    Forum Contributor
    Stefi I have updated mail address in my profile - try again.

  18. #18
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Matt,
    Unfortunately e-mails sent to the address in your profile still come back
    with error message:

    550 5.1.2 <[email protected]>...
    Host unknown (Name server: excelforum-nospam.com: host not found)

    I hope you got the message sent to [email protected]

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „MattShoreson” ezt *rta:

  19. #19
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: message without stopping execution?

    Hi Tom,
    This works in the environment in which CPearsons' solution doesn't, god
    knows why.
    Thanks,
    Stefi

    „Tom Ogilvy” ezt *rta:

  20. #20
    Forum Contributor
    Check your email I have replied to your mail account.

    LED progress bar struggles when being initiated from a userform. It's fine when launuched from the worksheet.
    Last edited by MattShoreson; 07-14-2005 at 07:12 AM.