Change the range of a pivot table data source

  1. #1
    Tony White
    Guest

    Change the range of a pivot table data source

    Hi
    Hope someone can help with this. I want to load a raw data file each month
    into a template workbook. The size of the raw data changes so I want to
    change the source range for each pivot table.

    How do I determine where the raw data ends (rows and columns) and tell the
    pivottable data source to use the new reference?

    Any help you can provide would be fantastic.
    --
    Anthony White

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Change the range of a pivot table data source

    You could use a dynamic range as the pivot source, and refer to the
    range name in the code. There are instructions here:

    Tony White wrote:
    > Hi
    > Hope someone can help with this. I want to load a raw data file each month
    > into a template workbook. The size of the raw data changes so I want to
    > change the source range for each pivot table.
    >
    > How do I determine where the raw data ends (rows and columns) and tell the
    > pivottable data source to use the new reference?
    >
    > Any help you can provide would be fantastic.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  3. #3
    Tony White
    Guest

    Re: Change the range of a pivot table data source

    Ok. My gameplan is to first import the csv file, then using vba name the
    range of data using the OFFSET function( is there documentation on this and
    the SUBTOTALS functions?), next using vba change the source of the pivot
    table.

    Thanks for your help. I have been to your site before. It is great!

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Change the range of a pivot table data source

    Thanks for letting me know that you like my site!

    There's information on OFFSET and SUBTOTAL in Excel's Help, and you can
    download Peter Nonely's function workbook from Ron de Bruin's site:

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/id.htm