*difficult* importing slection from a txt file to new column

  1. #1

    *difficult* importing slection from a txt file to new column

    I have no idea what I'm doing...

    I want to import a column (comma separated) from a text file to form a new column in an active work sheet... that’s easy.

    Now I want to do it 500+ times forming a new column each time.

    I've seen two options, but couldn’t get either to work for me.

    1) Open all .txt files in a directory
    2) Launch the open window to multi select files

    Also I only wan the data from row six and column two.
    I.e. the numbers 0 0 0 0 11230 11230 11227.

    Name="BaO2 run a18.RAW"
    Time=
    Date= 8:37 pm
    Analyst="13/07/2005"
    DataPoints=1240867
    0.0000, 0
    0.0300, 0
    0.0599, 0
    0.0899, 0
    0.1198, 11230
    0.1498, 11230
    0.1797, 11227

    A completed macro would be incredibly appreciated

    But any advice will greatly appreciate.

    In case your wandering it’s the output file from gas chromatography software.

  2. #2

    Re: *difficult* importing slection from a txt file to new column

    It sounds like you want to create 2 new columns for 500 text files.

    That means 1000 new columns.

    Excel only has 256 columns per worksheet.

    Am I misunderstanding or do you have to re-think the problem?

  3. #3
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: *difficult* importing slection from a txt file to new column

    Don't you also need to track at least the filename the data was
    extracted from, if not some of the other info in the file ?

    Tim.

    "Trogent" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message
    news:[email protected]...