buttons on InputBox

  1. #1
    Washington, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    buttons on InputBox

    Hi all,

    I've spent a good portion of the day searching for an answer to my question so I figured I'd just ask...

    Is there a way to add additional buttons in an InputBox? Currently there is only the 'OK' and 'Cancel' button.

    What I'm trying to do is gather several different inputs to be entered into different cells in my spreadsheet. I'd like to be able to go back to the previous input if possible. If there's another way to create something like this other than Inputboxes than those suggestions are welcome as well.

    Thanks in advance!

    Joel

  2. #2
    Gareth
    Guest

    Re: buttons on InputBox

    One workaround would be to have Cancel take you back to the previous
    inputbox and OK to the next.

    That obviously doesn't allow the user to abort the entire process other
    than "cancel" their way back to the first InputBox so if you have more
    than a few boxes it would be very annoying.

    I would suggest using a userform, since you are asking this I presume
    you aren't familiar with them (apologies if I've completely
    underestimated your level). You can set up a text box for entry along
    with the required buttons, or indeed allow multiple entries (TextBoxes)
    on the same form. Try reading the help file or maybe check out
    www.cpearson.com (to name but one) for examples on forms.

    As a final solution that's very simple (but possibly nor what you're
    looking for) you may like to take a look at Data \ Form from the Excel
    main menu bar.

    HTH,
    Gareth

  3. #3
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: buttons on InputBox

    The easiest way is to go into the VBE editor and construct a user form.
    You can design in all kinds of inputs and buttons and selections, and .....

    go here for some help on forms...
    http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Washington, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365
    Hello,

    Thanks for your answers both of you. I was hoping there was another way aside from UserForms as that is a pretty new piece to me. Sounds like that's probably what I'll be looking at.

    I'll take a look into each of the websites you have suggested. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. I do have one question though (maybe I'll be able to find an answer within those websites), how bad would it be to have multiple userforms in one workbook? Initially, I'm thinking there will be at least 18 .

    Here's what I'm doing. I have a spreadsheet that people use to fill out information, but a lot of the time, they leave out lots of information. In order to simplify the process, I'm creating a macro to 'interview' the user for the information I need. Initially my plan was to use InputBoxes to get the info, but it seems that it's a bit more difficult than that. UserForms are most likely the way to go, but will having multiple userforms slow down opening my file? Most likely, I'll end up combining some pieces into one form.

    Thanks for your help!

    Joel

  5. #5
    Gareth
    Guest

    Re: buttons on InputBox

    Hi Joel,

    18 user forms is fine. I wouldn't call it ideal for what is ostensibly
    an information gathering tool but it shouldn't make your filesize too big.

    I would vary your approach depending on what you're doing, type of
    information etc. (do you need just text or dates, text and numbers for
    example). A few options.

    (1) Just one userform.
    There's no reason why you can't have just one form with Previous and
    Next buttons, an instructions label, a textbox and (maybe) a label
    showing "Step X of 18".

    When the user clicks next you update your counter (X) so you know what
    to display, the instructions, the step label, where to store the entered
    data, how to check an entry, how to reply should they enter something
    unacceptable etc.

    Obviously, when you get to step 18 you will change the Next button's
    caption to "Finish".

    (2) 18 userforms. Well, it's your original idea so I won't describe it
    here, just be aware that... should you decide to, say, change the size
    of the form, you have to change 18. That could end up being a real pain.
    I wouldn't do this!

    (3) Multiple field form. Personally, as an end user, I think I would
    prefer this method. It's nice to be able to see everything you've
    entered in one go. If you can't fit everything on one form then you
    could always use, say, 3 different forms with 6 fields. Even the same
    form but change it 3 times (a la Step 1).

    Sounds like a fun project.

    Good luck.

    Gareth